Amp & cap turn off immediately after turning car on, stays on briefly after car is turned off while HU shuts down

Participant count
  • Participant list

Corrigan Zeman

CarAudio.com Newbie
STL MO
First post, so take it easy on me. For context, I had my previous set up (simple amp/subs/aftermarket HU setup) working just fine. I just finished rewiring it all with a better quality wiring kit, and added a capacitor as well. Im running 600 watt amp to two 10” subs, ive got battery positive running to a distribution block that runs positives to the amp and the capacitor, both of which are separately grounded to the chassis. The remote from the HU runs to the amp, and I’ve spliced a wire to that for the cap remote. I went to start the car and the amp & sub light up for maybe 2 seconds and shut off. I shut the car off, and they light back up again until the HU powers down, as normal. I also have no response from either when car is put in accessory mode. All my connections are tight, nothing is sparking/burning. I also charged the capacitor correctly prior to installing. I havent put my dmm to anything yet cause its currently 1:05 am as i write this and im going to sleep, but some suggestions as to where to start would be appreciated, let me know any information you guys may need.

Last edited:
Remove the remote from the cap to see what happens.
I gave that a go last night, same thing happens. Im gonna jump it directly from the battery positive and see if the remote wire from the HU is the issue perhaps.

Edit: out of curiosity i put my multimeter on the remote wire to the HU. Is the voltage to the remote supposed to stay constant while the vehicle is on? Because it seems i only get the 12+ volts when i first start it, only for a second, then as soon as the vehicle is shut off, it goes constant again until the HU powers down.

Last edited:
yall. I unplugged the radio harness and the antenna and plugged it all back in and it works. I guess its fixed… suppose it was the head unit bugging out. Anyways thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...