Is there a good mid bass driver out there?

20 hz bass machine
Premium Member

Danger Ranger
I'm looking for a mid bass driver that's preferably 8". I'm trying to put 2 in my driver and passenger doors with the goal of getting some quality mid bass, in the 80-300 ish HZ range. All of the speakers I'm finding are designed more as mid range speakers. I've found several with the appropriate frequency response but after looking at graphs they are lousy in the 80-300 range, not picking up volume until well past the frequency band I'm going for.
The idea for the build as a whole is a 12" sundown zv5 covering everything up to 80hz
A mid bass driver picking up from there to the 300 hz range
Then a 6.5"/1" component set going up from there
Does anyone have any mid bass drivers they can recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated

There are drivers out there but a couple things will be equally if not more important.

door treatment - unsealed leaky doors are the optimal environment for ass kicking midbass. You will want to think of your door as a sub enclosure

power- you’ll likely need to feed a significant amount of power to a dedicated midbass

+1 on the anarchys. I have 2 per door on about 200w per driver. For the best results they need to be in a ported enclosure in the door or well sealed off but if you put a bunch of power to them or have multiple it'll blend well.

They do not like more than 150w continuous and sometimes you'll have issues with the tinsel leads shorting out on the aluminum cone and some people question their longevity but for the price they are great drivers. They break up above 1.5khz or so. There are drawbacks but paired with a high sensitivity PA mid they're great.

If you want something crossed at 60hz-1khz (or lower, of course) to get midbass back they will give you that. You won't get the slap of a stock door mid without a ported enclosure, but you will get midbass.

I'm looking for a mid bass driver that's preferably 8". I'm trying to put 2 in my driver and passenger doors with the goal of getting some quality mid bass, in the 80-300 ish HZ range. All of the speakers I'm finding are designed more as mid range speakers. I've found several with the appropriate frequency response but after looking at graphs they are lousy in the 80-300 range, not picking up volume until well past the frequency band I'm going for.
The idea for the build as a whole is a 12" sundown zv5 covering everything up to 80hz
A mid bass driver picking up from there to the 300 hz range
Then a 6.5"/1" component set going up from there
Does anyone have any mid bass drivers they can recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated
my midbass goes to 28hz lol. dont look at charts, they dont correlate to real world performance AT ALL. Once in a door, everything changes from frequency response, to actual midbass loudness is all subjected to acoustics of the door shape and size, graphs are not reliable at all.

Thank you for the links and advice! I'm going to go with the anarchys. As a side note I already have a 1000rd from jl which I plan to use to power the mids, so power is not a problem. I was planning on deadending the hell out of the door along with putting the mids in they're own box. I wasn't thinking I'd have to make a ported box but I will if it means getting the best performance. Thanks again for the help, I will keep you posted on and build updates.

I'm running these and they sound pretty good to me and everybody who listens to them. 100-3,000hz.
Screenshot_20200110-150549_Gallery.jpg

If the anarchys are still out of stock when I start fabrication of the doors I will end up going with american midbass I wish the frequency response went lower. My zv5 doesn't like going above 80hz, but I think in the proper enclosure they will do the job

If the anarchys are still out of stock when I start fabrication of the doors I will end up going with american midbass I wish the frequency response went lower. My zv5 doesn't like going above 80hz, but I think in the proper enclosure they will do the job

I would play a video of mine, but I don't know how to play a video here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.