Is the Big 3 upgrade good enough???

ruck703

Dec 29, 2010
washington DC
I have 2 Orion H2 12.2 subs that will be powered by an Orion 2500D amp at 1 Ohm (I think). I've been searching high and low for all my options. I am going to do the Big3 upgrade for sure but i was thinking about getting a Kinetik HC1800 battery for a secondary battery in the back and I still have my regular Duralast Battery in the front. I'm going to run 0 gauge throughout my truck (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee). I have a stock 136 Amp alternator.Thoughts?????

nateberrier

10+ year member
Jun 28, 2009
Douche, Ohio
Yes It would be a good idea to do a second battery, I run 2k from single battery and I drop from 15v to 13.2 under load,(If I REEEELY FLOG IT) Lights dim of course. To avoid dimming and to avoid ruining yo carz I would get an 1800 though the 1400 would probably work ok too.

• Haha
Reactions: ruck703
OP
R

ruck703

Dec 29, 2010
washington DC
I actually placed an ad up here earlier to try to trade it or sell it...I'll take that money and put it towards a new battery...

Djltoronto

Dec 12, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I actually placed an ad up here earlier to try to trade it or sell it...I'll take that money and put it towards a new battery...
you'd better hope that the potential buyer doesn't read this thread otherwise they will soon realize they are just wasting money! LOL

OP
R

ruck703

Dec 29, 2010
washington DC
LOL...Djtoronto...I already know...someone just made an offer to me though...so its hopefully its out of my hands...its a good piece of equipment though.....

Djltoronto

Dec 12, 2010
Toronto, Canada
LOL...Djtoronto...I already know...someone just made an offer to me though...so its hopefully its out of my hands...its a good piece of equipment though.....
If i were you, I'd take the offer and run!! regardless of how low it was

Vital

10+ year member
Mar 27, 2009
NY
while we're at it - can someone explain to me why exactly caps are bad??

I'm not saying they aren't. I never used one and never will simply based on all the people bashing them, i just don't understand what exactly it does that hurts you. Someting along the lines of "power it stores still comes from sowhere so in reality u're rubbing your...."

Djltoronto

Dec 12, 2010
Toronto, Canada
while we're at it - can someone explain to me why exactly caps are bad??I'm not saying they aren't. I never used one and never will simply based on all the people bashing them, i just don't understand what exactly it does that hurts you. Someting along the lines of "power it stores still comes from sowhere so in reality u're rubbing your...."
They are not bad at all. They simply don't add what the uninformed people claim they add.

But a cap, in no way detracts from the performance, and it most definitely acts as a filter, smoothing out any electrical noise you may have - and this is probably not audible.

The whole subject is a clusterfuck on the net, so good luck being pointed to a reliable source, and there is usually a similar reliable source saying the exact opposite.

Just read as much as you can on the subject, and make your own conclusion. Haven't read about anyone adding a cap and then reporting noticeable reduction in performance.

R34P3R

I Haz Bass
Jun 7, 2010
Northern KY
Might want to look into a battery isolator if you're going to be running two completely different batteries (duralast wetcell and kinetik agm).

OP
R

ruck703

Dec 29, 2010
washington DC
Okay, I'm hearing mixed opinions here...some folks are telling me to keep the Cap and get a second battery! They said that the cap will help when that deep bass demands alot of power! as supposed to pulling all of the energy from the alternator....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds