Is my Kinetik HC800 Battery bad? NEED HELPP!! THANKS!

swollen_cu
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi, I have a Kinetik hc800 battery and don't know if it's really bad.

It's currently resting at 12.9 Volts which I think is good.

When I brought it to Autozone, Pepboys, and O Reileys, All 3 stores tested it and said it was a

BAD battery. The measured cca when they test it was around 230 CCA.

Is there a special way to test these batteries at the store or is it just a normal typical test.

When the stores tested it, I told them to type in 750 cranking amps.

Is that the correct way to test these kinetik batteries?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
if all 3 stores said it was bad i'd say its bad. A battery can still rest at 12 plus volts and be bad. So who screwed you?

I just put it in my friend's car, the voltage is fine.

It's idle around 15.4 with the engine on and goes down lowest to 13 volts when

I'm using the system at full tilt. The resting voltage with the car off

of the battery by itself while disconnected is around 12.8-12.9.

I'm just wondering why they say it's bad when it looks like it works fine. Thanks

if they dumped it and it went down to like 8 volts its bad, if all three said it was bad its bad, simple as that.

if you dont think it is, and say it works fine, then why make the thread? no hate, just wondering

If it were bad it would drag the electrical system down worse not help it. A dead or damaged battery would be a load on the system. When people have a dying battery under the hood it will actually make everything more laggy with or without the stereo system. Add the stereo system test. Add the battery in back test.

If over time the battery becomes weak pay attention to its voltage as if its resting at under 12.5 volts (battery dropping into very low 12's high 11 volt range under load) it is discharging more than it is recharging. When that happens time to turn the tunes down a bit until the alt can get a bulk charge into it.

if they dumped it and it went down to like 8 volts its bad, if all three said it was bad its bad, simple as that.
if you dont think it is, and say it works fine, then why make the thread? no hate, just wondering
The thing is it doesnt go down to 8 volts at all. The lowest that it goes down when my system is at full

tilt is around 13 volts. So that's why I dont think it's bad. When I use it, it's fine, but the stores say it's bad.

I'm made the thread for those who have full experience with kinetik batteries, so quit hating. I made the thread for

those who want to help...

If it were bad it would drag the electrical system down worse not help it. A dead or damaged battery would be a load on the system. When people have a dying battery under the hood it will actually make everything more laggy with or without the stereo system. Add the stereo system test. Add the battery in back test.
If over time the battery becomes weak pay attention to its voltage as if its resting at under 12.5 volts (battery dropping into very low 12's high 11 volt range under load) it is discharging more than it is recharging. When that happens time to turn the tunes down a bit until the alt can get a bulk charge into it.
The thing is the battery doesnt seem weak at all. All my voltage is decent, but I dont know why the

stores say its bad. It's idle around 15.2 with the engine on and drop lowest to 13 volts when I'm using the

system at full tilt. Could the store assume it's bad because I told them to test it and type in 750 Cranking amps?

Is that the correct way to test it? Thanks...

The thing is the battery doesnt seem weak at all. All my voltage is decent, but I dont know why the stores say its bad. It's idle around 15.2 with the engine on and drop lowest to 13 volts when I'm using the

system at full tilt. Could the store assume it's bad because I told them to test it and type in 750 Cranking amps?

Is that the correct way to test it? Thanks...
Depends what they use, and what the test actually is. CCA and CA are tests that drag a battery to an unusable level within 1 second if you are looking for max rating as it drags the battery to 7.2volts. As I said if it were bad it would also be a strain and draw a ton of power from the alt. Best thing to do is get yourself a good charger and bigger alt to keep all your batteries in the system bulk charged and topped off. Most agm chargers charge regular and agm and some have desulfation and battery testers in them to tell you if a cell is bad. Even since it was bought used seems like it is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you take a battery to a tester they are not testing it for what your using for. They are testing it for CCA starting and draw (loaded). if 3 say somethings wrong then there must be something somewhere. Ask them what they test with, also ask to have it tested unloaded. Go to a battery store too not a auto parts store. If you take it to a battery store and they tell you that again its bad ASK WHY.

The thing is it doesnt go down to 8 volts at all. The lowest that it goes down when my system is at full tilt is around 13 volts. So that's why I dont think it's bad. When I use it, it's fine, but the stores say it's bad.

I'm made the thread for those who have full experience with kinetik batteries, so quit hating. I made the thread for

those who want to help...
ok well im assuming you was testing with the car on? when your engine is running the batterys shouldnt be powering anything if your electrical is up to par it all comes from the alt so turn your engine off put a decent load on it and check out the voltage

not sure if its your main battery you use or not but an ez way to test a batter if you dont have a VAT is to disable the ignition or fuel pump put a dvm on the battery and crank the car(its not going to start because you disabled it) and it will put a nice load on the battery i usually crank for about 10 secs and if the battery drops below 9v its bad

When you take a battery to a tester they are not testing it for what your using for. They are testing it for CCA starting and draw (loaded). if 3 say somethings wrong then there must be something somewhere. Ask them what they test with, also ask to have it tested unloaded. Go to a battery store too not a auto parts store. If you take it to a battery store and they tell you that again its bad ASK WHY.
One of my friend said that when you test these batteries at the store, you tell them to type in 200 CCA then test. That's the correct

way for Kinetiks. Is this true?

Depends what they use, and what the test actually is. CCA and CA are tests that drag a battery to an unusable level within 1 second if you are looking for max rating as it drags the battery to 7.2volts. As I said if it were bad it would also be a strain and draw a ton of power from the alt. Best thing to do is get yourself a good charger and bigger alt to keep all your batteries in the system bulk charged and topped off. Most agm chargers charge regular and agm and some have desulfation and battery testers in them to tell you if a cell is bad. Even since it was bought used seems like it is fine.
I just didnt get it because my battery will not drop that low even when the system is at full tilt. The lowest it will ever go is around 12.5-12.8.

is that when your vehicle is on? because a battery does nothing when the motor is running....
Yes it does it helps run the accys. And most newer cars wont run without the battery because of electronic fuel pumps and starting ignition relays etc.

Also is the Alt charging it properly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

swollen_cu

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
swollen_cu
New Orleans
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date