In-line fuse size

Participant count
  • Participant list

Big D 13

CarAudio.com Newbie
My car was wired for a 750W amp, and it has a 80A in-line fuse. Now I want to use a powered sub with built in amp (nominal 350W) that calls for a 20A fuse. Should I swap out the old 80A fuse for a 20A fuse? Or add a 20A fuse somewhere along the line? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

The fuse is for the wire, so 80's still ok (assuming it's at least 4-5 Awg), although changing it out for a 20-30A fuse would be providing better protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also recommend swapping it out just to keep things consistent. I wouldn't toss the 80A fuse, though, just in case you decide to upgrade again later, not to mention having a spare on hand.

The fuse is for the wire, so 80's still ok (assuming it's at least 4-5 Awg), although changing it out for a 20-30A fuse would be providing better protection.
Thanks 

I'd also recommend swapping it out just to keep things consistent. I wouldn't toss the 80A fuse, though, just in case you decide to upgrade again later, not to mention having a spare on hand.
Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.