I need a crossover - NEED HELP

Fresh101
10+ year member

Hello Everyone, I am in need of a crossover and it will be my first one. I don't really know how they work and need your help in picking the best crossover known to you. I will be having 3 amps, 1 amp will be just for sub/bass, 2nd amp will be interior component speaker, 3rd amp will be playing a "chuchero" like in this video:

I heard I am going to need the crossover for the "CHUCHERO" as it will have 2 EV's 12" model EVM-12L Classic or Black Label (don't know which one to go with) and it will also carry 2 Tweeters and a Horn.

AMP FOR SUB = 1 Channel

AMP FOR INTERIOR = 4 Channel

AMP FOR CHUCHERO = 4 Channel

i have an arc audio peq ,it only works on all the mids and highs not the subs.i ran them direct off the deck and it works great might be selling it soon ,because i may get a zapco from my teammate

so if someone helps you, are you going to drive around breaking sound ordinance laws and provoking law makers to ban aftermarket car stereos all together?

so if someone helps you, are you going to drive around breaking sound ordinance laws and provoking law makers to ban aftermarket car stereos all together?
This setup is just for recreational use, parks and etc not for driving around.

youd save your self money and space just building a passive crossover for that cabinet, but if you want active control over it you can just find a cheap 4 way crossover like the jbl gtx47 and use that in combination with the filters on the sub amp

Thanks in advance PerfecxionX, whats the difference between 2 way, 3 way or 4 way? What that does? and how would I use the 4 way with filter on sub amp?

Sorry for asking to much as this is all new to me. Never used a crossover before.

youd save your self money and space just building a passive crossover for that cabinet, but if you want active control over it you can just find a cheap 4 way crossover like the jbl gtx47 and use that in combination with the filters on the sub amp
PerfecxionX, I cannot find the JBL 4 way crossover you mentioned nor find any at all 4 way. I see alot of 2way and 3way but nothing for 4 way.

Crossover Slope

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/90412-speaker-faq.html

Crossover Basics:A crossover is a filter. Passive crossovers use capacitors and/or inductors in between the amplifier and the speaker to block/pass different ranges of frequencies (e.g. block the bass from the mids, block the bass and mids from the tweeters, block mids and highs from the woofers...). Passive crossovers allow different types of speakers (woofers, mids, tweeters) to be driven from a single full range amplifier and will only allow the proper frequencies to go to each individual speaker. Electronic crossovers use op-amps to divide up the frequencies. Electronic crossovers go in the preamp line before the amplifier.

CROSSOVER ROLLOFF

Crossover rolloff (or slope) describes the rate which the audio level increases/decreases per octave as the frequency increases/decreases. It is usually given as a number (6, 12, 18, 24...) of dB per octave. Electronic crossovers commonly have a 12dB/octave slope. This means that every time the frequency of the audio signal is changed by a factor of 2 (one octave), the level of the audio signal will change by 12dB.

Crossover Point
This is where frequency where the roll off or slopes starts to begin. As with the picture from above the crossover point is 1 kHz roll off begins at that frequency.

2 way crossovers

These crossover have two difference types of crossovers: Low pass filter and high pass filter.

3 way crossovers

These crossovers have three different sets of crossovers: Low pass filter, bandpass filter and high pass filter.

It just occured to me that you said youll be using component speakers which will include a passive crossover so you dont need a 4 way crossover. 2 way will suffice since your only running to the two woofers and two tweeters in the "chuchero." I dont know anything about these chucheros so I have no idea what is typically done. It seems to me that you would be much better off just buying some preassembled PA speaker system that you dont need to worry about draining your car battery with.

PA speaker will required 110v and they are also bulky while the chuchero works with you car amp and typically also weight less and also smaller than a PA, considering the power range.

This thread is taking a wrong turn.

List your amp make/models. The amps will likely have crossovers in them, unless they are older.

You want to low pass the subs.

You want to high pass the interior speakers and use the included passive crossovers to divide woofer/tweeter.

The exterior PA speakers will also need a high pass filter on the set, then passive crossovers to divide the woofers and tweeters. You will likely need to make these yourself, or buy a premade crossover from Parts Express.

This thread is taking a wrong turn.
List your amp make/models. The amps will likely have crossovers in them, unless they are older.

You want to low pass the subs.

You want to high pass the interior speakers and use the included passive crossovers to divide woofer/tweeter.

The exterior PA speakers will also need a high pass filter on the set, then passive crossovers to divide the woofers and tweeters. You will likely need to make these yourself, or buy a premade crossover from Parts Express.
JL Audio 600/4

Kicker ZX2500.1

Rockford Fosgate T1000-4AD

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.