head unit alternative

Dead Reckon
10+ year member

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone knows an alternative to the flashy, over the top units out there on the market today?

I don't like the glowing lights, most of them are blue, and the ones that feature variable colors still don't match anything in my car. The only car they would match anything in is something like a Scion xB with enough lights to rival a fifty foot Christmas tree.

I drive a 1992 Camaro RS (third gen Camaro) I don't really want any useless features, I don't want hands free, I don't want CD's, FM, or AM, I just want something to plug an MP3 player into so that, if I feel like hearing something other than the engine, I can hear my music.

Anyone know of a good alternative besides a digital media receiver, unless you know of one that isn't all flashy and nonsensical?

I listen to metal, some rock, and some electronic music. I don't need a whole lot of bass, the factory speaker sizes are fine once I replace them with kicker KS460's and KS69's. All I need is an alternative for the flashy head units out there.

I was thinking an amp and a EQ, but a friend of mine told me the EQ doesn't act as a preamp, so it won't work. Is this true?

Basically, for an alternative to head units, for something I can plug in an MP3 player too, what are my options? I don't mind a little glowing, but this over the top nonsense modern units use is frankly, annoying.

For the record, I'm new to car audio, and, I'd like some advise, maybe there's some obvious solution I don't know about, if so, please tell me.

line out converter? helps if ur hooking up a system or maybe consider putting in a blue tooth adapter so you can plan music right from ur phone or other devices. maybe satellite radio.

Just use an RCA jack and get the 3.5 mm one that goes to a pair of RCA's, then go through a line out or eq to boost voltage and tune, and run multiple rca's from the eq/line out. So you could just run it off an ipod. I wouldn't recommend it, but you wouldn't even need a radio.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone knows an alternative to the flashy, over the top units out there on the market today?
I don't like the glowing lights, most of them are blue, and the ones that feature variable colors still don't match anything in my car. The only car they would match anything in is something like a Scion xB with enough lights to rival a fifty foot Christmas tree.

I drive a 1992 Camaro RS (third gen Camaro) I don't really want any useless features, I don't want hands free, I don't want CD's, FM, or AM, I just want something to plug an MP3 player into so that, if I feel like hearing something other than the engine, I can hear my music.

Anyone know of a good alternative besides a digital media receiver, unless you know of one that isn't all flashy and nonsensical?

I listen to metal, some rock, and some electronic music. I don't need a whole lot of bass, the factory speaker sizes are fine once I replace them with kicker KS460's and KS69's. All I need is an alternative for the flashy head units out there.

I was thinking an amp and a EQ, but a friend of mine told me the EQ doesn't act as a preamp, so it won't work. Is this true?

Basically, for an alternative to head units, for something I can plug in an MP3 player too, what are my options? I don't mind a little glowing, but this over the top nonsense modern units use is frankly, annoying.

For the record, I'm new to car audio, and, I'd like some advise, maybe there's some obvious solution I don't know about, if so, please tell me.
I run a parametric EQ in all my vehicles/Kicker KQ9, and Yes it does make a difference.Boost your voltage up through your Rcas for one thing,and worth every penny! I recommend for everyone to put one in there vehicle, and hear what you are missing, and being able to adjust/tune every song.Clarion makes one that is cheaper than the Kicker,and is 7band I think for under $100.

Just use an RCA jack and get the 3.5 mm one that goes to a pair of RCA's, then go through a line out or eq to boost voltage and tune, and run multiple rca's from the eq/line out. So you could just run it off an ipod. I wouldn't recommend it, but you wouldn't even need a radio.
Exactly what I was going to say. Some guys are using tablets or ipads. This isn't much different. It is very unlikely you will find a radio with out cd/fm, but who cares when you can get something with i-pod input for very little. Just an example Sony Xplod MP3/WMA CD Card Deck (CDXGT250MP) : Single DIN Car Decks - Future Shop

or you could buy something like this and run a cable that splits your ipod to rca's and have it permanently plugged in the back

Power Acoustik PWM-19 Car Audio Pre-Amp RCA Signal EQ Equalizer - PWM-19

How bout an old school eclipse headunit with an aux? Eclipse is known for being simple and great quality
That is what Eclipse was known for? I sold them for years and that was never the response we got from them lol. Great units typically though.

That is what Eclipse was known for? I sold them for years and that was never the response we got from them lol. Great units typically though.
Simple as far as looks go. They are by no means flashy compared to other headunits.

My Kenwood X995's display can be turned completely off, while still playing music. Too bad it has CD, FM, and AM huh.

Man this thing isn't letting me reply when I post links. Note taken... This forum doesn't like links.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with the double DIN JVC KW-HDR720, I know my dash opening is only 1.5 DIN, so I have to find another inch somewhere, but if you Google "Double din third gen Camaro" you should see a Pioneer DD HU modded into a factory console opening. I love my Camaro, but sometimes I feel like GM did not think about the future with this car.

I like the JVC 'cause it has a simple, but efficient, and color changeable interface. Plus it's glove friendly, I don't use my heat unless I'm going really far. Even then all I do is get the car slightly warm.

EDIT:

It let me post! It's a MIRACLE!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.