I messed up!!!! Humming sound.

Participant count
  • Participant list

jeramia

I installed 2 amps, one going to my door speakers and one going to my sub. Everything worked great, then after I installed a rca inline bass control knob to the sub amp....well I was adjusting where I wanted to mount it and one of the rca touched my 12 volts and sparked.

Now if I only have on the door speaker amp on, it sounds good, but as soon as I turn the sub amp on there is a high pitched sound coming out of the door speakers.

Also with both amps on if I turn the gain up on the sub amp some, even half way the sub starts humming. Where as before I was able to turn all of the way up with no issue.

I have replaced the rca's between the door speaker amp and the sub amp, but it still does it.

Anyone else have this problem before?

Are your RCA's running on the same side as your power wire for your sub amp? If you do, the power wire is giving off a strong magnetic field distorting the AC sound wave coming through the RCA's. I would move them to the other side if you have them ran like this. Otherwise, the 12V shouldn't have damaged the wire too badly but its possible because RCA's generally don't carry much more than 5V, try plugging in a different pair of RCA's to the amp and directly into your phone to test the amp out, if the whining goes away, it is your signal wire that is the problem. OR it could be that the 12V somehow damaged the RCA port in the back of the deck. Just keep your RCA's and speaker wires as far away from your power and ground wires as you can.

Thank you for the responses.

After more research, I tried wrapping a stripped piece of wire around one of the rca jack plugs then plugged it into the out head unit and then grounded it to the head unit itself.

No more humming from sub amp and no more high pitch winning from the coaxial's.

YEA!!!!!!!

I have ordered a ground loop isolator for a permanent fix.

I must have fried the rca ground in the head unit.

Thanks again and hope my solution can help people in the future.

Thank you for the responses.
After more research, I tried wrapping a stripped piece of wire around one of the rca jack plugs then plugged it into the out head unit and then grounded it to the head unit itself.

No more humming from sub amp and no more high pitch winning from the coaxial's.

YEA!!!!!!!

I have ordered a ground loop isolator for a permanent fix.

I must have fried the rca ground in the head unit.

Thanks again and hope my solution can help people in the future.
If you have a pioneer as a headunit then you blew the pico fuse.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.