Receiver hot. Install issue?

Participant count
  • Participant list

walkergetx

1976 450SL. Just installed a Retrosound receiver and two 4" 4 Ohm Boston Acoustics Speakers. Followed the wiring diagram and pretty sure everything is hooked up right. Comes on, antenna goes up and down. Decided to fire it up before the final install and the back of the receiver (metal heat sink) is too hot to touch. The voltage shows 13.5V, both in the direct hot wire to the battery and the ACC when the car is on. In the older car, do I need to step something down? What might I need to get?

Any ideas on what might be causing the heat? I can read a wiring diagram and solder, but past that, I am an electronics install noob. Any help is appreciated.

1976 450SL. Just installed a Retrosound receiver and two 4" 4 Ohm Boston Acoustics Speakers. Followed the wiring diagram and pretty sure everything is hooked up right. Comes on, antenna goes up and down. Decided to fire it up before the final install and the back of the receiver (metal heat sink) is too hot to touch. The voltage shows 13.5V, both in the direct hot wire to the battery and the ACC when the car is on. In the older car, do I need to step something down? What might I need to get?
Any ideas on what might be causing the heat? I can read a wiring diagram and solder, but past that, I am an electronics install noob. Any help is appreciated.
Your car will supply ~14.4V when the alternator is charging your batteries so no, the voltage is not the problem, is the head unit something you purchased or was it a second hand purchase? (craigslist, classifieds) If you purchased it from a retailer, I would contact them with the issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.