I have a question.

I just got 2 jl 12w0 8s in a box and a quantum audio qca3500d amp. My friend said the amp is only 500 watts but it says 3500 at 1 ohm. Is this okay to hook up? Will it blow my subs?
View attachment 26552503View attachment 26552504View attachment 26552505
amps lie about everything to get your money. Your friend is right on this. Or he might be wrong and it actually does a lot less than that.

Here's what a real 3500 looks like, weighs around 25lbs

amps lie about everything to get your money. Your friend is right on this. Or he might be wrong and it actually does a lot less than that.
Here's what a real 3500 looks like, weighs around 25lbs

Looks like 1500-2000 if you're lucky.

Here's what a real 1000rms looks like

JL-Audio-1000-1-or-1000-1v2-Amp-Board-Set.jpg

The results are legit but man those guts look weak for that kind of power. Call me old school but I'm used to power that takes up space.
It is actually pretty small for what it is though to be honest. Was expecting dual 1/0 power and ground on the amps and a longer board. Amps put out clean, and love the sound quality.

Love watching amps on dynos. Some of them old school DSM fosgates put down some serious power. 200DSM is a beast.

Okay. Thanks. So I can use it on the subs? I know they are older subs. I didn't want to blow the subs.
Play a bass heavy song at at your nomal listening levels, then slowly turn up your amplifier gain. if it stops getting louder or makes a wierd noise or any distortion in the way the bass sounds, then you are at clipping point, back it off a little bit. Do a few minutes test session and see how hot the subs/amp gets and if it doesnt got hot, you are good. If it does get hot, back off the gain a little bit more. DO NOT USE BASS BOOST AT ALL leave it at zero, THAT GOES FOR HEAD UNIT SETTINGS AND AMP.

If anything smells, turn it down even more.

Old US Amps. Dude them things were like what 44 inches long ?
Yea, 41-44" long. We used to run them in all our old sound off cars .... cost around $3600, rated at 400 wrms. you could get around 44-4800rms out of them if you knew what you were doing. 2 of them and 8 -15's in a geo metro would get you bumpin .....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.