I am opening a Car Audio store in Austin, TX, need some input on brands

I'm going to UT next year, I'll come by and visit.
Looks like I need to make a CA.com BBQ day at my shop when it opens. Matter of fact, I can just say plan on that. I'll make a post here. I make some killer burgers, chicken and ribs. I have a friend that works at Bill Miller BBQ and I can get him to bring Potato Salad and some BBQ sauce. Oh hell, it's on!!

...Good luck on getting Arc. You won't get it. Nor will you get DD if your lucky three different shops have it here, RE, Alpine, Pioneer Premiere, JL, Kicker and you might be able to get JVC arsenal. The regular JVC is pretty line to though. Look into Fosgate... not many shops around here carry it and they made a really good name for their selves back in the day.
Look into Quantum Audio which is made by DB-Drive. I personally like DB for the price. If you get Quantum just put flyers all over the East side of Austin. Just don't sell for retail price because they aint be havin that money for it but dey be wantins that Quantums. Just keep those cozmik series 15's instock.
DD shouldn't be a problem, I know a person at DD that's going to help me get them. I just need to get back to the good old USA to see what I can get as far as the other brands go. I can't wait until April 24th...the day we fly home!

there is a cheap ass store here in houson right by almeda mall. its called discount car stereo and they sell everything at invoice or below. they quoted a guy today $375 for a mojo 12 or 15 brand new, and i got a pair of image dynamics 12idqv.2 d4s for $175 each. thats cheaper than ebay. there jl 1000/1s were $650 each new. not sure how they do it but maybe you should contact them. they sell a high end and low end. always a lot of people in there as well.
I have heard of places like that. They probably get everything unauthorized and may not be able to offer a warranty. They may also carry refurbished stuff. I don't mind selling cheap, but I can't see offering refurb or unauthorized equipment.

Trust me though, if anyone from CA.com comes byt the shop, the prices will be great!

they might be authorized, but selling to the public illegally. like this other place in houston (harwin). theyre authorized, but are only suppose to distribute to other dealers and illegally sell to the public also. tsk tsk tsk.

they might be authorized, but selling to the public illegally. like this other place in houston (harwin). theyre authorized, but are only suppose to distribute to other dealers and illegally sell to the public also. tsk tsk tsk.
Yeah, that's what ruining the industry is the cheapo sales from a wholesaler. I think that's why I may stick with "internet" brands since they can control distribution a little better.

Yeah, that's what ruining the industry is the cheapo sales from a wholesaler. I think that's why I may stick with "internet" brands since they can control distribution a little better.
so because you cant make any money off of people its ruining the industry?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

so because you cant make any money off of people its ruining the industry?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
Nope, they are crooks violating contracts causing prices to go up for everyone.

Well, this thread kinda died, but it did last alot longer than I expected. Every post but one was quite productive and helped me make alot of decisions that I was on the line with. I want to thank everyone that contributed, I really do appreciate the effort no matter how little. Be sure and keep an eye open for me to post my Grand Opening, I am sure that I can make some deals for CA.com members. Thanks!!

Well, this thread kinda died, but it did last alot longer than I expected. Every post but one was quite productive and helped me make alot of decisions that I was on the line with. I want to thank everyone that contributed, I really do appreciate the effort no matter how little. Be sure and keep an eye open for me to post my Grand Opening, I am sure that I can make some deals for CA.com members. Thanks!!
Realistically its going to be about 6 months - 1 year until you open up.

if you even open up at all.

by then everyone will have forgotten.

Well here is what I have observed about retail audio shops:

Despite what everybody says about the internet killing them, the locals that I have dropped in on seem to always be busy.

From what I can tell, the people who seem to be buying from Brick and Mortar shops are those who want some type of gangsta' / ghetto install. Most of the local shops carry very little in the way of quality products as there does not seem to be much of a market for that. (I know -- chicken or the egg)

It may be different in Austin, but that is what I have seen.

Good luck.

I think what he is saying is that the wal-mart like, large wholesalers selling unauthorized are killing the mom-pop style authorized local shops.
You hit the nail on the head. It's a bad phenomena for these large companies to sell product to people without telling them that it unauthorized, B-stock or refurbished. Brick and Mortar shops offer more than product, they offer service, warranty and a place to when you have a problem. In my opinion, internet retailers are either going to go under or manufacturers will start authorizing internet sales on a large scale. There are a few online companies that offer quality service such as Crutchfield, but there you get to pay retail or just under retail price for most everything.

Well here is what I have observed about retail audio shops:
Despite what everybody says about the internet killing them, the locals that I have dropped in on seem to always be busy.

From what I can tell, the people who seem to be buying from Brick and Mortar shops are those who want some type of gangsta' / ghetto install. Most of the local shops carry very little in the way of quality products as there does not seem to be much of a market for that. (I know -- chicken or the egg)

It may be different in Austin, but that is what I have seen.

Good luck.

It seems that different areas have different types of business. I have a friend that is a manager of a large retail car audio sore chain. They are always busy. I also know a few people that own smaller single location stores and they are busy also. Talking to them, their customers come in for a huge range of equipment, but then again there are well over 1 million people in the city.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.