new setup for dads 67 camaro ss

Participant count
  • Participant list

traksta15
10+ year member

I love lamp.
so my dad has a 67 camaro ss show car, and hes wantint up upgrade the sound in it, nothing too fancy or expensive, just something better than the stock delco speakers in it. Hes also contemplating putting a cd player in it, but were wanting something that looks factory ish, or maybe wiring one into the glove box or under the seat. If any of you have done work in some classic cars please post them up, or give me any insight you guys have!! Thanks in advance!

2001 count as a classic yet.. lolz.. jk would like to see some finished pics of this.. those are nice cars..
Ill have to snap some next time I go over there, it runs 12's in the 1/4, but he hasn't driven it in 2 years or so. It needs some new parts, mainly from sitting so long.

The biggest problem you'll run into is trying to decide if its worth modifying the car to mount a modern stereo in it. For example, my '66 chevelle only has provisions for one speaker. A 6x9 (or 5x8 or 5x10, I dont remember, some odd oval size) dead center in the dash, firing up into the windshield. Back then most radio was mono AM only, so something as simple as putting door speakers in becomes a task of cutting metal out of those antique doors. Mounting a DIN sized h/u, same problem, it only has provisions for a knob-style radio.

If your dad wants a really trick setup, I know a guy out in Cali that modifies stock radios to accommodate FM reception, add preset buttons, even to control external equipment like an external cd player. He leaves the stock radio looking 100% stock, but he disassembles the radio, puts a computer board in it, and wires up the buttons and makes them programmable. For example, an AM-only radio out of a 1957 chevy can be made to get FM reception, its old AM preset buttons can become the play/fastforward/rewind/pause buttons for an external CD player, etc. Its not cheap, but its pretty much the ultimate setup for someone wanting to maintain their classic appearance. If your dad is interested, I can dig up the guy's contact info for you.

the main reason hes wanting to upgrade is to have the ability to play cds, he has speakers in the doors (or dash, cant remember) and 2 in the rear deck. so the mono thing isn't a problem. I was thinking about just putting it in the glove box or under the seat if possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.