Humming noise coming from speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list
niose is usually caused by bad grounding. and also bad RCA connections. So go through and check every ground connection, even the deck. (what deck do you have?)

you want a close grounding point to each amp, within 3 feet -1 foot. and you need to make sure your grounded to the FRAME. metal to metal.

What deck????

niose is usually caused by bad grounding. and also bad RCA connections. So go through and check every ground connection, even the deck. (what deck do you have?)
you want a close grounding point to each amp, within 3 feet -1 foot. and you need to make sure your grounded to the FRAME. metal to metal.

What deck????
x2

If it's a whine, it's got to be some kind of ground issue. Because you just hooked up an amp, I'd say try to make sure the ground is connected right, it's the right gauge for the voltage, and make sure it's touching bare metal(if there's paint on the metal you're connecting to, sand it off).

Also, the problem could be the head unit, as stated earlier. Pioneers have a known RCA grounding problem because of some... thing in the deck that craps out if you mess with the preamp outs while voltage is being fed to the head unit.

I just went through something similar. I did the usual thing and checked all the grounds... What I ended up discovering was that if my rca's were straightened out and run away from the amp in a straight line as opposed to bundling over top of the amp and the speaker wires that the whine disappeared.

I just went through something similar. I did the usual thing and checked all the grounds... What I ended up discovering was that if my rca's were straightened out and run away from the amp in a straight line as opposed to bundling over top of the amp and the speaker wires that the whine disappeared.
sometimes coiling the wire has a inductive and resistance effect and might also just tweek a problem with bad cables al together.

In your case, I would have picked up a better quality set of cables

Well I've got my amp grounded to one of the mounting studs for my drivers seat. Look below ive got pictures of how the amps set up. I didnt have the whine before I put the amp in, and I had been running that deck for a few months. The deck is a Pioneer DEH-P8300UB. My power and speaker wires are a little bit bunched up as you can see, and my RCAs drop right down out of the bottom of the dash, running under the carpet to the other end of the amp.

SAM_0346.jpg

SAM_0344.jpg

how is the head unit getting a signal? RCA's to aftermarket deck? LOC to factory deck?

how did you get a turn-on signal?

Looks like a Buick.

I'd build a shroud to hide the amp wiring.

I agree that seatbolts are not safe nor adequate grounding locations. too much resistance. you're that close, just ground the amp and head unit at the same point on the chassis (floor).

Deck - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB

Turn on signal - remote wire soldered into the wire going to the subs before the toggle switch

Indeed it is. 96 Buick Lesabre

How should I go about building a shroud?

I talked to my friend today who had the same problem and he agreed to just go to the floor. So I think Ill just cut a hole in the padding thats under the carpet, wire brush away the paint, and just screw in the ground right there.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

@subzero: whats wrong with the sub placement and RCA coiled up?

Pioneer head units are notorious for alt whine noise issues. Take a wire from the HU ground and touch the RCA shield at the HU and see if the noise goes away.

Build a shroud out of wood then carpet to match.

found out why i had alternator whine! the power wire crossing my RCA's for the 4 channel wasnt doin it. It was because i have my cheap RCA's running right along my 1/0 run for my subs. but because of the low pass on the head unt and the amp. its getting filtered out on the subs. but i guess it was feeding back in the head unit and sending the buzzing to my 4 channel. I got a cheap noise filter from sonic electrix, to hook into my 4 channel RCA's but i found out when i disconnect the RCA's to my subs, the whine stops. so i put the filter in those RCA's since it was a lot easier, and no more whine!

your RCAs are too close to your power wire and you're getting feedback from that. also you might want to place your amp somewhere else, that "for sale" sign is just not cool.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.