how to set time alignment Kenwood dnx773bh

Real time analyzer. If you want the best it can be it's 100% mandatory. With that much processing power you have to understand what it's doing. If not you will get weird phase shifts and gaps in the response.
I'd love my system to be the best it can be, and no, I nor my installer guy have a Real Time Analyzer. All we have is ears! Well, and I have the DSP and it's capabilities, the MONO microphone to auto-set the time, etc.

How bad could it all be, yano? ;-) Kind of like a Coleman canoe, not the best canoe but infinitely better than standing on the shore and wishing! ;-)

John Kuthe...

It can be bad. Like having the center image move all over the car and you won't know why. Having certain frequencies that localize the speaker. Bass that won't move to the front of car.

Look up the Dayton mic on parts express and software called REW

I'm pretty familiar with EQ adjustment, it's just a question of getting into the controls for it. Yes, I'd appreciate any and all help with tuning this system once we (my installer guy and I) get it all put together. I figure I'll use the auto-tune then fine tweak it from there. One step at a time.
John Kuthe...
its not your every day EQ. This EQ, you can choose specific frequencies along with how wide of a band that EQ would affect AKA the Q factor. There's a huge learning curve ahead of you with this and a quality RTA (real time analyzer) would help a lot. Basically you play pink noise and it'll show you your whole frequency response and show whats needed to be cut or raised.

Before you even get to the EQ, you will have to set the crossover points to match your vehicle's acoustics along with your tweeter and door speaker comfortable limits. for example a common crossover point for mids and tweeters is 3.5khz where the mid takes care of 3.5khz and below and the tweeter takes care of 3.5khz and above. however its not a complete drop, there's a slope to how fast the mids and tweets die off at that point which is called the Slope adjustment which can be in -6 db, -12db up to -48db. These options allow for a perfect blend for mids and highs.

Another example would be that you vehicle has a natural peak at 3.15khz that hurts your ears and sound quality really bad. You can actually cross your mids over at 2.5khz and your tweets around 3.5khz at a -6 or -12 db slope to naturally tame that nasty peak without even having to touch the EQ, this works A LOT better than trying to mess with the EQ and gives a much more natural sound. Couple this method along with acoustical sound treatments AKA mass loaded vinyl and you got the makings of a fantastic sounding system.

After the crossovers You would need to time align the setup which basically delays the speakers closest towards you so that every speaker driver in the vehicle, when they reproduce soundwaves, they all reach your ears at the same exact time which creates a phantom center stage, this is what makes music sound realistic.

After finishing those two, then would you want to mess with the EQ. Again, i'd highly suggest going manual over auto EQ because we've been though many auto EQs and they all are REALLY bad and innacurate, only the JBL MS-8 which has a fully programmed software built from the ground up along with their enhanced microphone can really do a proper job of autoEQ and tuning.

IF you do proceed to and use the autotune anyways, just dont be surprised when you find out you could have made it sound 100x better going manual lol.

I'd love my system to be the best it can be, and no, I nor my installer guy have a Real Time Analyzer. All we have is ears! Well, and I have the DSP and it's capabilities, the MONO microphone to auto-set the time, etc.
How bad could it all be, yano? ;-) Kind of like a Coleman canoe, not the best canoe but infinitely better than standing on the shore and wishing! ;-)

John Kuthe...
you can definitely just use your ears to set the time alignment and EQ manually, just takes a lot longer and trial and error

It can be bad. Like having the center image move all over the car and you won't know why. Having certain frequencies that localize the speaker. Bass that won't move to the front of car.
Look up the Dayton mic on parts express and software called REW
We have it in my buddy's ride and his arc audio ps-8 it doesnt work too well to be honest.

That's the one I used in the Scion. I had access to a big AC RTA this time.

I don't think I've heard of one person that's was happy with the H800 tune.

Even with the MS-8 being as good as it is I still had to work it for months before I felt it was dialed in

its not your every day EQ. This EQ, you can choose specific frequencies along with how wide of a band that EQ would affect AKA the Q factor. There's a huge learning curve ahead of you with this and a quality RTA (real time analyzer) would help a lot. Basically you play pink noise and it'll show you your whole frequency response and show whats needed to be cut or raised....
I understand very well. After all I am an Electrical Engineer by degree so I know WAY more about electromagnetism than any normal human. ;-)

IF you do proceed to and use the autotune anyways, just dont be surprised when you find out you could have made it sound 100x better going manual lol.

The plan is to use auto-tune initially with my installer guy then tweak it myself later. Yeah the idea of a pink noise generator and an RTA (I'm becoming conversant in the lingo!) I could tweak individual deficiencies in the sound reproduction. Assuming of course that the microphone was dead on! I'd really like to get a Windows tablet with a CD slot and a USB cable to interface with the H800.

John Kuthe...

I understand waves , all of them. And how they behave. Both acoustic (sound) waves and electrical waves.
John Kuthe...
proof? Considering you had to get a nursing degree to make money I seriously doubt you know a lot about EE. Why aren't you a PE if you know so much?

Better question why do you insist on putting good speakers in terrible spots if you understand acoustic waves so well?

proof? Considering you had to get a nursing degree to make money I seriously doubt you know a lot about EE. Why aren't you a PE if you know so much?
Better question why do you insist on putting good speakers in terrible spots if you understand acoustic waves so well?
I'm limiting myself at this time with the stock speaker locations except for the addition of a subwoofer. I know that's very limiting and not very good way to lay out a soundstage but it will have to do for now. I'm gonna have a good go at it!

John Kuthe...

I got out of IT and became a RN so I could get a reasonably well paying good secure job that's very hard to outsource! Can't easily outsource or automate direct patient care! I can't stand the volatility of the IT job market!

I keep telling everyone here, I am using Chrysler's stock speaker mounting locations because it's terribly easy. I'd LOVE to design and build a vehicular listening room on wheels that so many of you seem to tout! But I also have many other uses my vehicle needs to perform right now. Maybe when I buy an all electric vehicle (Nissan "Leaf" being considered right now) I'll have that perfect listening room on wheels designed, built and installed by JML Audio here in STL! When I have the big bucks!

John Kuthe...

I got out of IT and became a RN so I could get a reasonably well paying good secure job that's very hard to outsource! Can't easily outsource or automate direct patient care! I can't stand the volatility of the IT job market!

I keep telling everyone here, I am using Chrysler's stock speaker mounting locations because it's terribly easy. I'd LOVE to design and build a vehicular listening room on wheels that so many of you seem to tout! But I also have many other uses my vehicle needs to perform right now. Maybe when I buy an all electric vehicle (Nissan "Leaf" being considered right now) I'll have that perfect listening room on wheels designed, built and installed by JML Audio here in STL! When I have the big bucks!

John Kuthe...
And we all have told you easy, cheap ways to improve those locations but you have ignored it all. Or you just don't understand any of it and okay it off to make yourself look more intelligent

And we all have told you easy, cheap ways to improve those locations but you have ignored it all. Or you just don't understand any of it and okay it off to make yourself look more intelligent
I've integrated some of it. I decided I'm gonna cut off the back of the Boom Mats and use them more as a wave guide to direct the rear wave off the back of the speaker diaphragms to attempt to deaden it and avoid it coming around to the front and cancelling out some of the front waves. Kinda like a F.A.S.T Ring, but more substantial than the open cell foam the F.A.S.T Rings use! At least on the two 6x9's in the front doors and the 5.25" drivers atop the dash. Put a lot of Damplifier Pro and maybe even some Luxury Liner to dampen those rear waves too! I understand speaker operational dynamics pretty well. Also gonna try and seal up the front doors with some sheet metal pieces to try and seal up those big holes, with Damplifier Pro on it too! Maybe not as good a door treatment as this guy does, but I;'m not trying to SELL Second Skin products either!! (can't find the Youtube I was looking for right now!!)

And this is FALSE: "And we all have told you...". No, most here have just berated my lack of knowledge of modern auto audio knowlege and spent a lot of time vilifying me.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.