How should I set my amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright, to start off i'm a noob when it comes to subs/amps. I just purchased my first setup and need help setting the gain, bass boost, subsonic x-over, lo-pass x-over. This setup was purchased used so this all might be set perfectly already //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif here is my setup.

Amp: Kicker DX 1000.1, 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms

Subs: Kicker 10DCVR122 dual 12" subs in ported box, 800 watt rms at 2 ohms

(Kenwood Excelon head unit)

I will be testing the gain using a multimeter, I read you would do the square root of watts rms times ohms. So would I do the square root of 1000x2 or 800x2? What should I set the bass boost at? Currently it is set a 0. Lastly subsonic x-over and lo-pass x-over, currently subsonic is set at 10 and lo-pass is set around 100. Does that sound about right? Thanks for the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Alright, to start off i'm a noob when it comes to subs/amps. I just purchased my first setup and need help setting the gain, bass boost, subsonic x-over, lo-pass x-over. This setup was purchased used so this all might be set perfectly already //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif here is my setup.
Amp: Kicker DX 1000.1, 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms

Subs: Kicker 10DCVR122 dual 12" subs in ported box, 800 watt rms at 2 ohms

(Kenwood Excelon head unit)

I will be testing the gain using a multimeter, I read you would do the square root of watts rms times ohms. So would I do the square root of 1000x2 or 800x2? What should I set the bass boost at? Currently it is set a 0. Lastly subsonic x-over and lo-pass x-over, currently subsonic is set at 10 and lo-pass is set around 100. Does that sound about right? Thanks for the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
first off, bass boost should be all the way down, NEVER use it. The LPF and the sub-sonic depend on what music you listen to and what your box is tuned to. the subsonic filter should be at the frequency that your box its tuned to, probably 30-34 HZ. The LPF should be around 80HZ for most rap and dubstep type music, set this higher if you listen to music with higher bass tones. As for the gain, you need to slowely turn it up while you are playing music/test tone and go until it gets distorted, once you find that point, back off the gain a little bit, this should make them sound the loudest while avoiding distortion. To do it with a multimeter, the easiest way is to open up your LPF all the way and hook the meter up to the terminals, turn up the gain while looking at the DMM set to AC voltage (~ symbol). do this while playing a test tone around the frequency where your subsonic is at. The idea is to get a clean, stable voltage when your power is at max, so as your turn it up, hold the gain still to check for voltage stability, keeping turning it up until you see that the voltage is not stable and then back off until you reach that "sweet spot" where you have max power output with no distortion. You should be able to push the full 1000RMS from the amp to the subs, just don't run it max when its cold/moist, this will result in blown amp, not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.