How "SHOULD" type R's sound...

well theres your problem. your clipping your sub. buy a amp that can send them some clean power or turn you bass boost off and turn your gain down. even if your amp puts out 200 watts on a 600 watt sub if you turn the Bass boost and gain all the way up you can still clip the signal.

My amp puts out 1700 watts... These subs are rated at 500w RMS... What I am saying is that I am not sending them to much power... B/c people put 1000+ watts on them with no issues..

My amp puts out 1700 watts... These subs are rated at 500w RMS... What I am saying is that I am not sending them to much power... B/c people put 1000+ watts on them with no issues..
I put no more than 500rms to mine and they ended up blowin, probably from age, as they lasted over 2 years, but I would crank it pretty good and maybe I did clip it from time to time, but I didn't care back then as I got them dirt cheap and like I said, lasted for a while.

They are a nice budget sub.

typr r's arenot that ****ing bad. people would just rather have a "unknown" brand name sub to telltheir friends about it. I mean get ****ing serious. Nobody wouldspend 200+ for one 12, but I get them forlike $90 brand new WITH WARRANTY and thats a ****ing deal. even on ebay without warranty for a littlemore still good ****

I put no more than 500rms to mine and they ended up blowin, probably from age, as they lasted over 2 years, but I would crank it pretty good and maybe I did clip it from time to time, but I didn't care back then as I got them dirt cheap and like I said, lasted for a while.
They are a nice budget sub.

How can you tell if the signal is clipped... I've heard discussions, and some people say most people never even notice if they are clipping the signal...

and exactly... It's a nice budget sub, which is why I bought it.

clipping can be heard but wont sound the same for all subs. my idmax has very good upper extension so clipping it sounded like bottoming out. some subs just sound distorted and some flutter. now when you play at your normal listening level just listen to the sub from in the trunk and see how it sounds. if it dont sound right back the gain down til it does. all can sound goo in the cabin of the car but when you pop the trunk all you hear is distorted bass.

clipping can be heard but wont sound the same for all subs. my idmax has very good upper extension so clipping it sounded like bottoming out. some subs just sound distorted and some flutter. now when you play at your normal listening level just listen to the sub from in the trunk and see how it sounds. if it dont sound right back the gain down til it does. all can sound goo in the cabin of the car but when you pop the trunk all you hear is distorted bass.
Well, I'll have to take a listen tomorrow. I'll also get pics of the box..

One last thing though... I was listening to Korn, and it wasn't hitting all of the low notes... My subsonic filter is as far down as it will go.

typr r's arenot that ****ing bad. people would just rather have a "unknown" brand name sub to telltheir friends about it. I mean get ****ing serious. Nobody wouldspend 200+ for one 12, but I get them forlike $90 brand new WITH WARRANTY and thats a ****ing deal. even on ebay without warranty for a littlemore still good ****
I've listened to a good half-dozen different drivers in the Type R's price range, and it still doesn't impress me. I'm not out to impress anyone else with an arcane sub...I just know what ass sounds like to my ears, and the Type R is it.

For all the people that recommend Type R's, I wonder if they've heard Shivas...or Dayton HF/HO's...or CSS SD12's...

well if you got your SSF all the way down then your cutting out all the low notes. raise it up to about 25-28hz. depending on the amp you might not be able to tell where its at you may just have to play with it. also on SSF's and low bass notes. sometime a sub just cant play low notes very well with alot of power running to them. what happens is the suspension just cant overcome the xmax and cant keep up. like the voice coil is moving in and out so much that it cant keep up with itself. this can cause some fluttering noises as well.

Ive owned:

Adire Shiva

Adire Tempest

IDMAX

IDv3

Ascendant Audio Atlas

Dayton DVC

....and others

Ive heard:

Seas Lotus

Audiomobile

JL W6v2

JL W7

....and others

I will do my review upon install

sounds like:1-port too small

2- sub not mounted goo, air leak

3-box not sealed good
all of those are a possibility,

only other thing that comes to mind that could sound liek "fluttering is "distortion"

distortion might be coming from a clipped signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.