How many watts can 18 ga and 14 ga speaker wire handle?

I want to replace my stock speaker wires with 18 ga because I have a big *** spool of the ****, and I want to run 14 ga for my subs.
How many watts do you plan on running? Is the wire OFC or CCA? How far do you plan on running it?

17w to each component speaker, so no big deal there.600w to each sub with 14 ga but running from the amp right next to the box
Uhm...I think you'll be fine there. What size of wire do you have going from your battery to your amp? And how long is that?

I think you should be fine. I guess it'd be best to get more input, though.
Thanks for the help man. Have you ever replaced your stock speaker wires? I want to try to tape my end of the wire to the stock wire at the speaker then pull it all out from behind the head unit. You think that'd work?

Thanks for the help man. Have you ever replaced your stock speaker wires? I want to try to tape my end of the wire to the stock wire at the speaker then pull it all out from behind the head unit. You think that'd work?
I haven't replaced my speaker wires. I upgraded all around to some cheaper Pioneer speakers, but I never amplified them, so I didn't see a point in it. As far as your plan, hey, it wouldn't hurt to try.

This will not work. The factory wires are anchored in various places. There's no need to remove the factory wires. Also, make sure you don't already have 18 ga wire.

This will not work. The factory wires are anchored in various places. There's no need to remove the factory wires. Also, make sure you don't already have 18 ga wire.
So I would pretty much have to feed them through by hand? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

So I would pretty much have to feed them through by hand? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Yup. Time to face the reality of wiring. It takes time to do it correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.