How Many Runs!?

if this was completely true then why do hard core competitors run 8 runs of each or more.i can tell you that when i went from 3 runs of each to 8 runs of each my score and voltage was higher and more stable ,by alot
He never said he was competing. For comps, mutliple runs would lead to less heat build up and therefore a couple of tenths. If it is a musical build, it is a waste of money to run 3-4 runs of 1/0 per alternator.

An this is coming from someone who competed so much he is a judge now. Listen to him.
Lots of judges have never competed, therefore this statement really bears no weight. Doesn't take much audio know how to check 4ohm ratings on amps, verify that boxes/batteries are within classification and watch a number on a screen. SQ judge is completely different.

He never said he was competing. For comps, mutliple runs would lead to less heat build up and therefore a couple of tenths. If it is a musical build, it is a waste of money to run 3-4 runs of 1/0 per alternator.

Lots of judges have never competed, therefore this statement really bears no weight.
not any that i know of. but ok since we are on the subject .2nd loudest on the west coast 4 years running 4th loudest in the states for 09 -11 in street b and c ,only person getting this loud on a truck in the class all under the window line, and like i said 152.8 burp and 150 on music ,and a daily driver.team audio connection jim on termpro

not any that i know of. but ok since we are on the subject .2nd loudest on the west coast 4 years running 4th loudest in the states for 09 -11 in street b and c ,only person getting this loud on a truck in the class all under the window line, and like i said 152.8 burp and 150 on music ,and a daily driver.team audio connection jim on termpro
A few around here were never competitors. Some were, some weren't.

Might I ask what cone area and what power you were running doing this?

There is like no room to run a 2nd Alternator on my truck. 1: alternator is underneath truck. 2: space is pretty limited.
thats what i said about my the intrepid, they dont have to be next to each other, i had one on either side of the car after moving the post, and air intake.

if this was completely true then why do hard core competitors run 8 runs of each or more.i can tell you that when i went from 3 runs of each to 8 runs of each my score and voltage was higher and more stable ,by alot
AFAIK this makes a bigger difference if ALL your electrical originates under the hood. If you have a battery bank by the amps it's not so important, but the guys who run 10KW off a single battcap under the hood or similar setup gain for every run they add... I have heard of gaining each time a run is added up to 10 runs of + and 10 of - then basically just not adding more.

All that being said you really should consider what you're trying to do and how much money a tenth of a DB is worth. Also worth mentioning that using "too many" runs won't ever hurt anything.

I buy only welding cable myself. I can vouch for the orange flex stuff at weldingsupply.com and have bought some good cable on this forum in the past....comes up from time to time.

I buy only welding cable myself. I can vouch for the orange flex stuff at weldingsupply.com and have bought some good cable on this forum in the past....comes up from time to time.
How flexible is the orange ultraflex? I've tried regular 2/0 welding cable and couldn't bend it whatsoever. And are there any real advantages from welding cable? (Welding cable 1/0 [$175 for 60 feet], which is right in the middle between Knu [$185 for 50 feet] and AudioTechnix [$165 for 50 feet])

I need about 30 feet of + and 30 feet of - to reach 2 runs each.

How flexible is the orange ultraflex? I've tried regular 2/0 welding cable and couldn't bend it whatsoever. And are there any real advantages from welding cable? (Welding cable 1/0 [$175 for 60 feet], which is right in the middle between Knu [$185 for 50 feet] and AudioTechnix [$165 for 50 feet])
I need about 30 feet of + and 30 feet of - to reach 2 runs each.
The orange stuff is pretty good, not like the Kicker or other elite priced super flex stuff, but a far improvement from the standard black welding cable (which I also use for short runs that don't need to be hidden like big 3 and grounds).

Big difference buying welding cable is it's pure copper vs CCA that you'll get with anything for less money. Copper is a bit better conductor, but if you're planning overkill on runs anyway or weight is an issue just go with whatever CCA you can get cheapest and do a bunch of runs.

The orange stuff is pretty good, not like the Kicker or other elite priced super flex stuff, but a far improvement from the standard black welding cable (which I also use for short runs that don't need to be hidden like big 3 and grounds).
Big difference buying welding cable is it's pure copper vs CCA that you'll get with anything for less money. Copper is a bit better conductor, but if you're planning overkill on runs anyway or weight is an issue just go with whatever CCA you can get cheapest and do a bunch of runs.
I was aiming to run OFC regardless of price, just trying to find the best bang for the buck with regard to being OFC. If it's true OFC, shouldn't it be pure copper? just like welding cable? Reason for asking is that people are telling me quality would be the same if I get true OFC: KnuKonceptz, RF, stuff like that

I was aiming to run OFC regardless of price, just trying to find the best bang for the buck with regard to being OFC. If it's true OFC, shouldn't it be pure copper? just like welding cable? Reason for asking is that people are telling me quality would be the same if I get true OFC: KnuKonceptz, RF, stuff like that
IMO RF, Kicker, Stinger, etc. cable is nice but not worth the premium unles you just need it for show.

I haven't used the pure copper Knu, but their other stuff is a good value so I would have good expectations of getting a fair price on anything you order from them.

IMO RF, Kicker, Stinger, etc. cable is nice but not worth the premium unles you just need it for show.
I haven't used the pure copper Knu, but their other stuff is a good value so I would have good expectations of getting a fair price on anything you order from them.
Alright thanks. Also, from your knowledge, 2 or 3 runs of Knu OFC? and 2 or 3 runs of the orange welding cable 1/0?

Alright thanks. Also, from your knowledge, 2 or 3 runs of Knu OFC? and 2 or 3 runs of the orange welding cable 1/0?
Like I said I've never used the Knu 100% copper, but I would expect performance would be close to identical. If I were ordering 1/0 and ring terminals I'd go through weldingsupply.com, if I were ordering 1/0, RCA's, speaker wire, and other odds and ends I'd probably go with Knu to bundle shipping on other crap I'd need anyway.

One other place to check would be Darvex.com I've found some killer deals on RCA's and assorted cable from them from time to time. They often have blowout prices on older styles of premium brand cable/distro blocks, and other accessories.

Like I said I've never used the Knu 100% copper, but I would expect performance would be close to identical. If I were ordering 1/0 and ring terminals I'd go through weldingsupply.com, if I were ordering 1/0, RCA's, speaker wire, and other odds and ends I'd probably go with Knu to bundle shipping on other crap I'd need anyway.
One other place to check would be Darvex.com I've found some killer deals on RCA's and assorted cable from them from time to time. They often have blowout prices on older styles of premium brand cable/distro blocks, and other accessories.
I have the RCA's ran. I just need all the power and grounds + the accessories.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.