How Loud are dBs?

Tbird006TheKing
10+ year member

I see alot of high powered comps that only have 87-90dB w/1w that can take 300watts but will anyone ever use that much volume like the Boston's pro60 w/400 watts can theoreticly produce 116.0206 dBs but from high and mids can someone really use even 3/5 of that? The loudest I've heard was 107.6db from 10 feet away and it was peircing loud

with a 300 watt amp how much headroom do you have I know that it makes you amp last longer and play clearer?

Also is it true that most stock speakers are only 70-75dB 1w/1m

Um with a 300 watt amp, your amount of headroom depends on the efficiency of your speaker system (driver and enclosure) and your desired listening level.

A decible(db) is a measurment of volume.

Do not use the speakers measurment of 90db to 1watt as a standing point. Applying 5 more watts will not yield 540db of volume...

Actually, most stock speakers are more efficient than aftermarket speakers. They are designed to run off 20 watts or less. The DB rule for power requres you to quadruple your power to gain 3db. Meaning you'd go 4=+3 16=+6 64=+9 256=+12. So those speakers are just a bit over 2x louder to the human ear with 300 watts than they are at 1. They'd theoretically hit around 102 db.

A decible(db) is a measurment of volume.
Do not use the speakers measurment of 90db to 1watt as a standing point. Applying 5 more watts will not yield 540db of volume...

That's not what I used 540dB would would destoy everything and it's impossible to reach

I can't remember what it's called but 10*log(watts)+effeciency

A lot of it is for headroom, but I do know some kids that would like it that loud, maybe even moreso. Rock concerts are 110dba, so that for many people, that much volume potential would be ideal.

dba is an average over the entire musical spectrum, 110db at 1000hz is much louder to the human ear than 110 at 40 hz where a SPL sub burp would take place. Most people have no problem with 110db of subbass, 110db of 1000hz can cause pain fairly quickly.

dba is an average over the entire musical spectrum, 140db at 1000hz is much louder to the human ear than 140 at 40 hz where a SPL sub burp would take place. Most people have no problem with 140db of subbass, 140db of 1000hz woud make a person deaf in an instant.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.