How long will it last?

145.9 without sweeping on music... I guess I was thrown off by the Honda wipers bouncing... plus it DOES seem to be louder than my old setup... but subjective perceptions always lead to predictions that get shattered by the meter. I'm still pleased with the output and sound so it was metered for curiosity anyways I suppose. Jeez... I demoed a few that were definitely over 150db easy. 50 minute drive each way... well worth the time spent IMO
Pretty good score for music not knowing your peak freq. I'm guessing that was a sealed on the dash score? I'd bet there is more in it if you did some testing. 

Pretty good score for music not knowing your peak freq. I'm guessing that was a sealed on the dash score? I'd bet there is more in it if you did some testing. 
I just expected too much from what it is, it has been awhile since I actually demoed something over 150 and I got that straightened out last night. That was "outlaw" on the floor btw... 144.9 on music sealed without sweeping.

If I ever meter again it'll be with more cone, power and stronger electrical next time.

I'm still pleased with how it turned out

I just expected too much from what it is, it has been awhile since I actually demoed something over 150 and I got that straightened out last night. That was "outlaw" on the floor btw... 144.9 on music sealed without sweeping.

If I ever meter again it'll be with more cone, power and stronger electrical next time.

I'm still pleased with how it turned out
As long as you're happy thats all that matters. I would try to do some sweeps and vehicle resonance testing so you know your sweet spot next time. I think theres another 1.5-2db in it. I nerd out on the testing and turn it into a big scientific experiment lol. But I'm a number chaser unlike most people out there. 

I nerd out on the testing and turn it into a big scientific experiment lol. But I'm a number chaser unlike most people out there. 
Yeah... I know the feeling, I got a little stoopid with the Blazer that way... remember the "Frankenstein" burp box?

wcB7ooC.jpg

149.2 with that abortion... lol

I think this one will stay in there a bit... it's so damn big and hard to move around for me. I agree there's probably more there but it always goes back to testing and that means either having regular access to a meter or owning one... I might just do exactly that (buy one) this year

Yeah... I know the feeling, I got a little stoopid with the Blazer that way... remember the "Frankenstein" burp box?

I think this one will stay in there a bit... it's so damn big and hard to move around for me. I agree there's probably more there but it always goes back to testing and that means either having regular access to a meter or owning one... I might just do exactly that (buy one) this year
I have a basic usb meter from SPL Labs, works great for me. The SSA meter looks promising too, both are under $350. Great way to spend that tax return $ 😁

Ghetto beats installed...

Y75Y9LF.jpg

7oLiwco.jpg

That Sa-15d4v3 and enclosure sitting in the garage doing nothing was killing me just looking at it, so I threw it in the backseat with the RE Sx-18d4 in cargo area, wired everything to 1 ohm and found out pretty much that it's a bit past the stock electrical capabilities now. I knew that it would tax the electrical but I wanted to play around... it's seeing a gain for sure, definitely NOT optimum but seems to be working out OK... Jeez, the things we do when bored... lol 

Honda's are built light for sure, I'm seeing new flex and rattles now... I'm just playing around so It'll come out soon but definitely louder

Kinda interesting how a lower tuned box sitting further back (37hz) combined with a higher tuned box (43hz) sitting further forward, one port all the way back in passenger rear corner, the other on drivers side halfway back (rear seat area) both big and efficient (each mid 140's at 2 ohm) act decent together in this SUV and with the amp loaded at 1 ohm the subs see decent power still... until voltage becomes an issue of course (stock electrical). I feel like a dumbass teenager cruising around with this the way it is but ... hey... it's sure doin' allright for what it is IMO. 

Nice port mod.  I had no clue what I was doing and went crazy on a 4th order box last spring.  Extended  the rectangular port like 14 inches, then converted it to an aero port etc.  I was doing it all blindly, but it is all good.  It all makes sense to the scientist, and that is what matters ;)  

Off the deep end again... this thread IS seemingly or should be about about how long a setup will last in the Honda. I've changed setups so much lately and I am on a mission this time to increase my bandwidth and still get that great output, I'm trying a series tuned 6th this time. That Sa-15 has come out of the car and I'm gonna find it a new home, a loud one I hope... lol

Out with this for now, it'll give me the chance to flush trim it and Roundover where needed... paint too. Painting Mdf is tricky, I know... I'm trying to get a nice finish if I do... any advice?

380x2Qp.jpg

I'm all set to build this over the next couple of days...

wBNEtv.jpg

All the enclosures I've accumulated make great work stands... Probably paint this one too as long as I'm gonna make a mess.

fpVaBzr.jpg

Now to just get another sheet and get busy... lol... I'm becoming repetitive I know on this thread but I've never tried a series tuned 6th and this seems as good as a time as any to try one.

Once again it'll be a single Sa-15v3d4 on a 3K amp at 2 ohm (2125 rated) on stock electrical 

Any obvious or subtle concerns with the design that anyone sees right offhand?..  the way I'm reading my modeling suggests nice lows (23-4hz?...strong... probably lower I think) and up to 60-62hzish before falling off hard

Someday I'll have to learn Hornsrep... I've tried over the years but it's so far over my head I can't even see the bottom

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the deep end again... this thread IS seemingly or should be about about how long a setup will last in the Honda. I've changed setups so much lately and I am on a mission this time to increase my bandwidth and still get that great output, I'm trying a series tuned 6th this time. That Sa-15 has come out of the car and I'm gonna find it a new home, a loud one I hope... lol

Out with this for now, it'll give me the chance to flush trim it and Roundover where needed... paint too. Painting Mdf is tricky, I know... I'm trying to get a nice finish if I do... any advice?

I'm all set to build this over the next couple of days...

All the enclosures I've accumulated make great work stands... Probably paint this one too as long as I'm gonna make a mess.

Now to just get another sheet and get busy... lol... I'm becoming repetitive I know on this thread but I've never tried a series tuned 6th and this seems as good as a time as any to try one.

Once again it'll be a single Sa-15v3d4 on a 3K amp at 2 ohm (2125 rated) on stock electrical 

Any obvious or subtle concerns with the design that anyone sees right offhand?..  the way I'm reading my modeling suggests nice lows (23-4hz?...strong... probably lower I think) and up to 60-62hzish before falling off hard

Someday I'll have to learn Hornsrep... I've tried over the years but it's so far over my head I can't even see the bottom
I always thought you tuned the lower freq chamber to 1 octave below the tuning of the high freq chamber. 

How bad does group delay look?

I always thought you tuned the lower freq chamber to 1 octave below the tuning of the high freq chamber. 

How bad does group delay look?
This yielded the best response for my goals IMO. I wanted those lows, but not at the expense of output in the 40's so I tuned a touch higher with the lower chamber, and it should (or looks like) deliver exactly that. The combination of tunes and series chambers most likely will lower the effective tune on the lower tuned side some and that's how it looked to me. Someone else took a look at it in Hornsrep and confirmed my suspicion so the overall response ought to be just fine. 

As far as delay goes...

1E2TBj.jpg

Ok... got the materials needed, now to start marking out the layout, prepping all the parts and getting all the internal router work done prior to assembly.

Plenty of materials left over for the 45's, this thing will be heavier than I'm used to for a single 15... getting in the car will probably be epic for me...  :wow:

TQnRbwA.jpg

I think I'll make the top removable just in case some adjustments are needed. 

Any tips on prep for Mdf painting?.. I'd like to keep the cost in check if possible.

Ok... got the materials needed, now to start marking out the layout, prepping all the parts and getting all the internal router work done prior to assembly.

Plenty of materials left over for the 45's, this thing will be heavier than I'm used to for a single 15... getting in the car will probably be epic for me...  :wow:

I think I'll make the top removable just in case some adjustments are needed. 

Any tips on prep for Mdf painting?.. I'd like to keep the cost in check if possible.
Use BIN primer if you are painting mdf. It will seal up that porous mdf real well so your topcoat won't soak in. You shouldn't need more than 2 coats. Use a 1/4inch nap 4 or 6 inch hot dog style roller. You will also want some denatured alcohol for clean up. After that I would rattle can with Rustoleum 2x or Universal or use an alkyd type roll on top coat. 

Hardest part done... ****, the baffle and inner port-wall with sub weighs a bit all by itself.

I'm not gonna pay for Birch tho

7yroILH.jpg

Now to finish marking the panels out so I can finish this thing

nElB19G.jpg

Had to trim a bunch, Lowes cuts bit me in the azz...  :suicide:

I probably spoke too soon... I'm sure painting the thing will be the real PITA

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.