How long will it last?

what is the advantages of having a birch box? are they as strong as MDF?
Weight, clean-up (mdf sux) and some feel its stronger but really Idk and for me price is everything so mdf it is, I just deal with the weight.

Any way you go bracing is super-important imo, so account for that always

what is the advantages of having a birch box? are they as strong as MDF?
Birch weighs less and is stronger because it's made of alternating layers of veneers. It will stay straighter because of the alternating veneers and there are no air voids. Also it produces far less harmful dust than mdf. Plus birch looks better and you can stain it. Depending on where you are, if you shop around the cost between mdf and 13 ply birch isn't too big of a leap. 

Birch weighs less and is stronger because it's made of alternating layers of veneers. It will stay straighter because of the alternating veneers and there are no air voids. Also it produces far less harmful dust than mdf. Plus birch looks better and you can stain it. Depending on where you are, if you shop around the cost between mdf and 13 ply birch isn't too big of a leap. 
birch stronger than regular plywood im guessing? plywood has the same layering right?

Made from Baltic birch

20190207_163235.jpg

Weight, clean-up (mdf sux) and some feel its stronger but really Idk and for me price is everything so mdf it is, I just deal with the weight.

Any way you go bracing is super-important imo, so account for that always
use 11 layered sanded pine, some lowes or home depots sell it for as cheap as MDF. Its literally almost the same as birch without the stupid price point. Some of all our biggest 160+ builds in california are built by pine, the wood of choice for CSCstang for lightweight, strong as f**k and cheap.

thats just sanded ply with a birch veneer layer. Actual baltic birch is a 5x5 sheet for $90-$100+  There was a test on strength on another forum testing all sorts of boards and sanded ply wasnt far behind at all vs baltic birch, definitely the best bang for buck. MDF was the worst strength next to partical board being last While OSB was the strongest and heaviest. 

yes birch is stronger than regular plywood. Regular plywood does not have the same layering. 
Not the same but pretty much dead similar at 11 layers. Just missing the top and bottom birch veneer.  Some lumber or hardware stores stock it, its way better than the 7 layered common plywood and it costs 30 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

thats just sanded ply with a birch veneer layer. Actual baltic birch is a 5x5 sheet for $90-$100+  There was a test on strength on another forum testing all sorts of boards and sanded ply wasnt far behind at all vs baltic birch, definitely the best bang for buck. MDF was the worst strength next to partical board being last While OSB was the strongest and heaviest. 

Not the same but pretty much dead similar at 11 layers. Just missing the top and bottom birch veneer.  Some lumber or hardware stores stock it, its way better than the 7 layered common plywood and it costs 30 for a 4 x 8 sheet.
That California rent ***** big time, $34.95 for a 5x5 sheet or $56.95 for a 4x8 sheet out here in the midwest.

Think I paid about 45 bucks/ea  for my 5x5 sheets of baltic birch when I made my box and amp tray combined pictured above. Pricing is gonna vary between states/cities.

Looks great! 
z1jK08M.jpg

XNJvsmA.jpg

Turned out pretty good... looks a lot better than it did.

Working on strengthening the electrical, H6 Agm is in, 250A Ces on the way and I must deaden the thing eventually... jeez, with the windows down it really sounds ugly. I gotta do the roof at least.

I took a chance and picked up a new FU 750-18v2d2 to load the Synergy 3K better... "how long will it last?"... about 25 seconds once I got my new alternator in there. No warning or smells... it just died. I pulled over and tried moving the sub and it's pretty clear it's a slinky... lol. Once I moved the cone slightly it'll still play but it's fugly as hell sounding so It's coming out asap.

Oh well... I took a chance and it was only $200 or so. 

DQ1acs0.jpg

I've got that RE for backup (dual 4) so I'll throw it in there interim once I relax... I just finished the alternator and it was a "B"... one mounting bolt went in ok but it had a slightly larger case and the other flange could only be wedged into the bracket as far as I could... no way the bolt would line up. I made it work (don't ask). Because of the mounting issue I could utilize the same belt even with the smaller pulley.

It's in, solid and doin' great so even tho I had issues I'm happy. It really helps the amp, output has increased noticeably and with the roof (X3 80 mil layered)), gate (X2 layers 50 mil) and rear doors so far deadened it is a different animal for sure.

IDK how much power that FU can actually handle... before the alt it was really getting down (for what it is), but only for 3-5 sec bursts. I'm kinda pissed they forgot the unicorn tears when assembling it... but the glue held-up... lol

Back to the ol' drawing board.

Sub never knew what hit it... user error for sure... lol

Now I'm seriously shopping tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.