How long will it last?

I went through the same thing. I didnt tune to 43hz but i always tund in the high betweem 28-30. I went up to 35hz and 2 1000rms subs on 3.5k and was much happier with them then i was 2 monster 12s on 4k. Much more musical. Weird i know lol

I went through the same thing. I didnt tune to 43hz but i always tund in the high betweem 28-30. I went up to 35hz and 2 1000rms subs on 3.5k and was much happier with them then i was 2 monster 12s on 4k. Much more musical. Weird i know lol
Agreed... God bless cabin gain... it really is car audio's not so best kept secret/edge.

And the pure output around cabin frequency gains you see is totally worth it IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed... God bless cabin gain... it really is car audio's not so best kept secret/edge.

And the pure output around cabin frequency gains you see is totally worth it IMHO.
I agree! Getting the most out of what you got. People would really be surprised what some entry level subs can do in the right box and power.My 2 sa 12s on 2.5k was louder to me than my monster 12s i had on 3.5k. Who cares about efficiency right? LOL

I agree! Getting the most out of what you got. People would really be surprised what some entry level subs can do in the right box and power.My 2 sa 12s on 2.5k was louder to me than my monster 12s i had on 3.5k. Who cares about efficiency right? LOL
I agree completely... Ive been designing for someone who just can't believe a HCCA 12  on a XTR 2500 wont put out like this thing, here's the gist of what I tried to tell him...

Tell him that a single 15 is almost 2 12's and I'm putting 2125 watts on a 750 watt Sundown... it's in a super-efficient box and is not a power wasting sub like that HCCA, it's got a light coil, low mass and the motor and suspension is optimized well... it's a Sundown.

BTW... That sub is power wasting (the HCCA)... a big heavy inefficent mutha with a big gap, large heavy coil, heavy cone and stiff suspension

Am I totally off base here?.. lol... guy wants a 150 from a single HCCA 12 on 2500 watts... he better rethink his goals unless he want's a one note wonder I think

I agree completely... Ive been designing for someone who just can't believe a HCCA 12  on a XTR 2500 wont put out like this thing, here's the gist of what I tried to tell him...

Tell him that a single 15 is almost 2 12's and I'm putting 2125 watts on a 750 watt Sundown... it's in a super-efficient box and is not a power wasting sub like that HCCA, it's got a light coil, low mass and the motor and suspension is optimized well... it's a Sundown.

BTW... That sub is power wasting (the HCCA)... a big heavy inefficent mutha with a big gap, large heavy coil, heavy cone and stiff suspension

Am I totally off base here?.. lol... guy wants a 150 from a single HCCA 12 on 2500 watts... he better rethink his goals unless he want's a one note wonder I think

You're absolutely right. Im sure hes a little new to the hobby also because myself went through this phase 10 years ago when i was first introduced to the world of car audio. Bigger, heavy, 50-60lb magnet and higher rms has to be louder right?  Boy was i wrong and wasted quite a bit money in the process of trail and error. Dont get me wrong they have their place in car audio but a majority of us in car audio cant afford to power 6-8k on a pair of subs.  Ive seen so many cheaper 2.5-3" coils beat out these monster subs simply by the same reasons you mentioned

2500rms he shouldve got a decent pair of 2.5 coils and been more than satisfied. better get another xtr before he even thinks about getting the most out of that thing and then even thinking about being a musical setup is shot out the window

You're absolutely right. Im sure hes a little new to the hobby also because myself went through this phase 10 years ago when i was first introduced to the world of car audio. Bigger, heavy, 50-60lb magnet and higher rms has to be louder right?  Boy was i wrong and wasted quite a bit money in the process of trail and error. Dont get me wrong they have their place in car audio but a majority of us in car audio cant afford to power 6-8k on a pair of subs.  Ive seen so many cheaper 2.5-3" coils beat out these monster subs simply by the same reasons you mentioned

2500rms he shouldve got a decent pair of 2.5 coils and been more than satisfied. better get another xtr before he even thinks about getting the most out of that thing and then even thinking about being a musical setup is shot out the window
I really think he's caught-up trying to keep up with his buddy with a XXX 18... He (the buddy) was stuck on the idea of a 4th at 1st. I helped him by redesigning his current 4th (at the time) then eventually after a bit I was able to convince him a ported was what those old school RE XXX 18's will like so he performed some surgery (no kidding) and turned the 4th into a large ported. 

Here's the final product, completed today... 

64nQWJ.jpg

At 1st it was this... after the 1st redesign...

WDvwLR.jpg

xDEK4s.jpg

After he finally went ported, loaded the port correctly off the rear of the cabin and moved the amps and processors to the rear for room behind the box he seems really pleased with the outcome. 

Damn... this guy IS MacGyver!.. box surgery is never a joke. 

But it's gonna be hard to hit big #'s with that HCCA for sure on an XTR 2500.  I'm waiting for a vid on that XXX 18... I'd sure like to hear it in person.

Jeez... coulda' possibly metered the Honda tonight but new job (again) tomorrow early, eventually I'll get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think he's caught-up trying to keep up with his buddy with a XXX 18... He (the buddy) was stuck on the idea of a 4th at 1st. I helped him by redesigning his current 4th (at the time) then eventually after a bit I was able to convince him a ported was what those old school RE XXX 18's will like so he performed some surgery (no kidding) and turned the 4th into a large ported. 

Here's the final product, completed today... 

At 1st it was this... after the 1st redesign...

After he finally went ported, loaded the port correctly off the rear of the cabin and moved the amps and processors to the rear for room behind the box he seems really pleased with the outcome. 

Damn... this guy IS MacGyver!.. box surgery is never a joke. 

But it's gonna be hard to hit big #'s with that HCCA for sure on an XTR 2500.  I'm waiting for a vid on that XXX 18... I'd sure like to hear it in person.

Jeez... coulda' possibly metered the Honda tonight but new job (again) tomorrow early, eventually I'll get it done.
aye whatever works for him i guess. Should sound pretty good though! Most definitely get some numbers up on that SA 15". Love seeing the more budget woofers put up good numbers

43.68hz? I wonder if kick drums would benefit from that tuning? I'm at 36hz with my 3003. 
Its punchy and loud... gets pretty low too.

Idk if the port location/clearance kinda changes the tune but its a little nasty if I turn it up as tuning/cabin frequency are pretty close.

I'm just not missing that under 32hz stuff as the output is a pleasure to crank-up.

Haven't even tried any rebassed stuff yet... what's the point? 

Its punchy and loud... gets pretty low too.

Idk if the port location/clearance kinda changes the tune but its a little nasty if I turn it up as tuning/cabin frequency are pretty close.

I'm just not missing that under 32hz stuff as the output is a pleasure to crank-up.

Haven't even tried any rebassed stuff yet... what's the point? 
How is the output compared to the 4th order you did a few months back?

Dam you Shredder! Now I’m going to have to build a high tune box for my SA-12 to try this out.

also, f*****g loving that truck box you designed for me using the SD3-10. That subwoofer in that box in that truck is SQ bliss and it can get loud too for a 10 on 500 watts that is. 

@shredder2

In some ways some of us are probably ones that don't believe it until we see it for ourselves. I for one am totally like that.  You can tell me all you want and I might even say I believe ya, but then one day I will go off and find out if what you really say is true lol.  Even if it costs me ;)

With that said, I personally want to see how low and loud I can get my sedan within my current scope of resources before I move on. I know for sure I will be into this for a while and I want to experience a lot of different avenues to learn anything and all I can.  Why I started this time around doing it myself as much as possible. None of us have rolls of cash nor immense amounts of time and so with that variable it is best that we look at our goals very discretely.  Even though I did this when younger for a short while and even now for the past 2 years, the physics, chemistry and science behind this is crazy vast.  Lots of info to swallow and it takes time to connect all the pieces.  I love this 'sport'. It is almost my all time favorite thing. Baseball and now softball still holds the crown...

I like the sound better... prolly meters higher too... no telling tho till I put it to the test.

I learned not to trust what you feel as far as the meter goes... but I'm hoping it'll hit that #.
It should meter pretty close to that 4th order. The ported design has a slightly wider bandwidth and should blend with the mids a little better compared to the 4th.

Does it sound boomy around 50hz? In the model there is a huge spike in group delay centered right at 50hz

I bet Everlasting Bass by Rodney O and Joe Cooley would sound good with that box. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.