How hard is it to build your own ported box? (For a 12 inch XXX)

well, its a good start to buy the right equipment, theres a thread in the building help section specifically for people like yourself. You can have home depot cut the wood, or have a cabinet shop do the same, OR you can buy all the tools so you can build more later.
How much does it usually cost to have a cabinet shop do the cuts?

Don't know if you have Ace Hardwares around you, but many times these stores will be dedicated to lumber and have milling rooms specifically for project cuts. For $4 I got perfect cuts for my ported box. THe machine they used I believe had a monitor that displayed the measurement as opposed to the cutter "eyeballing" it.

Don't know if you have Ace Hardwares around you, but many times these stores will be dedicated to lumber and have milling rooms specifically for project cuts. For $4 I got perfect cuts for my ported box. THe machine they used I believe had a monitor that displayed the measurement as opposed to the cutter "eyeballing" it.
haha there is an Ace hardware down the street from me. Did they make a circle cut out for the sub too?

Well I didn't need a circle cut. I just did that with a jigsaw. If you have a compass circle cuts are super easy if you go slow. I have used a jigsaw twice in my life (both for sub cut outs) and I got them perfect both times using a cheap jigsaw from Harbor Freight. And if you are worried, do like I did the first time and cut slightly smaller than what you need and sand the rest. I wouldn't worry about the circle cut. If you go to Ace, you should ask how accurate they cut just to make sure.

Yes, living in eastern shore I had to do everything myself. The jigsaw holecut out, holding the pieces together and make the first pre drills. I had to literally use a jig saw two make my 4cf box because my saw shortened out. It came out ok but not perfect. Thank god for carpet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Now I have a sober friend who lets me use his table and tools if I sweep and straighten up a little.

I could build it for you but I live on the eastern shore in Va.

My next project is an 8 cubic footer. Now that'll be fun.

ok, i think i found a good box builder, but I have no idea at all what size i need or tune for the sub. Its a 12 inch XXX (older one, not the newer one that costs a ton of money). I like sound quality, but i also want it to hit extremely hard (hence why I bought the sub). I definately am more interested in SPL than competition level sound quality, but I don't want it sounding like garbage becuase its a pure SPL box either. I just want it to be insanely loud, but sound good while doing it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.