How hard is it to build your own ported box? (For a 12 inch XXX)

ls1pimp
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NJM
I have the thing in a 1 cube circuit city enclosure right now, and i need to put it in a "real" box now that i have a new car with tons of trunk space (Acura MDX). I have never built anything in my life either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif I have no idea what my options are, and i have no idea how to even design a box, nor build one. I just want it to sound insanely insanely insanely loud, but still have some good sound quality. Thanks

well, its a good start to buy the right equipment, theres a thread in the building help section specifically for people like yourself. You can have home depot cut the wood, or have a cabinet shop do the same, OR you can buy all the tools so you can build more later.

know what you want to tune it to, know what tools to buy, and use a box building program like the one on reaudio.com. that's pretty much it.

What size/tune would you guys suggest for the 12 inch XXX? Like I said, i want it to be extremely loud, but also retain a decent amount of sound quality. And if i just pay home depot to cut the wood for me, would I just have to glue the peices together and hookup some wire terminals to it?

Yes. But if you want really good cuts i would try a cabinent shop or purchase the materials to do it yourself.
thanks, ill definately look into a cabinet shop. Also, this may sound absurd, but would they cut the circle out for the sub? I have no idea how to do that myself since all we have here is a jigsaw.

One other thing is if you have a cabinet shop do it it may not be to your liking as if you have a professional enclosure builder do it. Cabinetry is building custom wall units, bathroom and bedroom sinks, closets, additions. I wouldn't even think they would waist there time on a box. What would they rather do? Build your box or install a kitchen, ect. I know these things because I used to work and build cabinets and deign them and instal them. It's all about money. Now mabye if you gave them $500 or more they would do possibly. Even my Uncle has a shop and he won't let me build enclosures there. He says he's to busy and it's a waist of his time even if he's not at the shop. He installs for Home Depot.

You have two options. Find someone here with free time on there hands or do it your self. I'm not putting myself out there but I don't do anything all day until I get inlisted into the Army in Febuary. But ask around and get price qoutes.

Stephen

fvck home depot..... your wasting your time if you let home depot cut your wood. Just got my wood cut from home depot. My cuts were so fvcked up, i will show you pictures... THEY WILL NOT DO PRECISION CUTS. and they will make sure to tell you that because that seems to be their excuse for their lousy cuts......

fvck home depot..... your wasting your time if you let home depot cut your wood. Just got my wood cut from home depot. My cuts were so fvcked up, i will show you pictures... THEY WILL NOT DO PRECISION CUTS. and they will make sure to tell you that because that seems to be their excuse for their lousy cuts......
not always true, you just gotta know the right people, or show them a little tip. i agree, half the time you go there, your cuts will be all off, but if you go on a slow night when they're bored, they will take there time to cut it right

they charge 45 cents per cut.....literally.

meaning if i wanted 6 panels of the 4X8sheet, they will charge you for every cut they have to go through to make those 6 panels. Dude kept cutting the wood wrong, so he can could keep taxing my ass with all the cuts needed to make the dimensions i asked. Everytime he would make a cut, he would go to the paper and write 1,2,3,4, etc.

Why would i tip his ass if he's already charging me 45cents for each cut and top of that his cuts are sh!tty......?

i got ripped off and i will learn to cut my own wood

or

save money for the equipment needed to do it myself......

BTW, home depot will not cut the circles for you.... so you might be better off at a cabinetry shop....

I'd just have someone build you a custom enclosure instead of messing something up and blaming the driver for the poor sound.

I'd just have someone build you a custom enclosure instead of messing something up and blaming the driver for the poor sound.
Yea thats what I really want, but it sounds like its gonna be very hard to find someone in my area (central NJ) to find a box builder

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.