fiberglass project

fiberglass matte is what makes the actual strength of the glass.

imagine making paper machae, but without the paper. would that make any sense?

the chicken wire\mesh to make the volcano is the MDF ring and other supports, the paper is the fiberglass\cloth and the machae is the epoxy-resin+mekp hardener.

unless you have those parts, you cant make your project. unless your project is going to be a non-weight-bearing load, but for a sub box it will be. so forget i said that lol.

look at the fiberglass forum, and read the stickies on fiberglass how-to's. you will understand.

and you can go to your local autozone. they have little packs of fiberglass matte (dont use the weave unless you know why you are using it, stick with matte) for a few bucks. like 3 or 4. so its not expensive stuff.

these are going to be pods for dd 6.5 lts any place i can get some flush mount 6.5 mdf rings for cheap

oh yea the rings.

just get the outer dimension of the speaker, and the mounting dimension.

get some 1\2" plywood and cut the inner dimension and the outer dimension + .5 inches. then cut another ring with the outer dimension and then the outer dimension + .5 inches.

glue them together and voila.

use a jigsaw, with a nice sharp new large tooth blade (spend a few dollars on the blade, it will make life a lot easier than a cheap ass blade!)

so in conclusion.

piece 1;

mounting diamater = inner cut

outer diamater + .5 inches added = outer cut

piece 2;

outer diamater = inner cut

outer diamater + .5 inches added = outer cut

you should have two rings now. (always cut the inner cut first, then do the outer cut) get some nice titebond woodglue, and rough up the sides you will be glueing together and then glue em, and clamp em. 24 hours later, sand the poop out of them. and you have flushmount baffles ready for glassing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hope that helped.

and if you are just doing doorpods, if you get THICK fleece - its going to only take a few layers of glass, maybe two at most. and if you get really thin stretchy stuff (my favorite) you will need more like 5 layers in most places. im talking between 4 and 7 oz matte.

lemme find a thread i made a while back, and i will show you how i made mine.

lmao- you have my link, and i don't

i REALLY need to redo that, half the information on there could really be improved by recent experience etc.- know anyone who could help with that? i have time to rewrite it currently, and many many better pictures if someone has a place to put it/can convert word/works to whatever format it needs to be in?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.