Help with intro level car audio components

What do you like about the Pioneer separates?

I looked at the Kicker sub, but it only takes speaker inputs 🤔

Is there a reason you suggest it over the Infinity?

Price to performance ratio.

Most alloy domes in this price range tend to have a distinct ringing at 18-22khz which while above most ability to hear, causes listening fatigue in lower octave ringing around 10-12 kHz which is commonly perceived as overly bright or shrill. It is known to create listener fatigue as well. Only until you get into more exotic metal domes, like beryllium, ot titanium/magnesium/aluminum alloys do you see extensive R&D to design that trait out.

That is a unique design from pioneer and it raises the ability of the tweeter to reach up to 96kz, an astounding feat. This also means they have designed that ringing issue up and out the audible frequencies. The result is a dynamic and articulate high frequency tweeter. The mid-woofer is a composite/sandwich glass fiber/cellulose cone which takes advantage of papers ability to dampen well and the glass fibers ability to maintain an outstanding weight to stiffness ratio.

The combination is dynamic somewhat bass leaning midbass and fast, articulate, accurate mid/high frequency output. All for $100 is a pretty nifty accomplishment. The Z series of comps and coaxial are derived from Pioneers internationally recognized Stage 4 PRS drivers that cost in the many hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.

They are a great bargain at $99 a pair.

Price to performance ratio.

Most alloy domes in this price range tend to have a distinct ringing at 18-22khz which while above most ability to hear, causes listening fatigue in lower octave ringing around 10-12 kHz which is commonly perceived as overly bright or shrill. It is known to create listener fatigue as well. Only until you get into more exotic metal domes, like beryllium, ot titanium/magnesium/aluminum alloys do you see extensive R&D to design that trait out.

That is a unique design from pioneer and it raises the ability of the tweeter to reach up to 96kz, an astounding feat. This also means they have designed that ringing issue up and out the audible frequencies. The result is a dynamic and articulate high frequency tweeter. The mid-woofer is a composite/sandwich glass fiber/cellulose cone which takes advantage of papers ability to dampen well and the glass fibers ability to maintain an outstanding weight to stiffness ratio.

The combination is dynamic somewhat bass leaning midbass and fast, articulate, accurate mid/high frequency output. All for $100 is a pretty nifty accomplishment. The Z series of comps and coaxial are derived from Pioneers internationally recognized Stage 4 PRS drivers that cost in the many hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.

They are a great bargain at $99 a pair.
That's interesting stuff, thanks for including it.

I've just always seem to have reservations about Pioneer, because when I was a teenager that's the kind of stuff we would find at Walmart.

But I did really like the Pioneer under seat sub I used to have.

Maybe I'll look into those door speakers 👍👍

That's interesting stuff, thanks for including it.

I've just always seem to have reservations about Pioneer, because when I was a teenager that's the kind of stuff we would find at Walmart.

But I did really like the Pioneer under seat sub I used to have.

Maybe I'll look into those door speakers 👍👍
Pioneer kind of whored the brand out to anyone and everyone that would sell it. Their rep took a bit of a beating that they never really quite recovered from. That's the reason you find their hi-end Carrozzeria, Stage 4 PRS lines in the international markets, not the U.S. What they have done for years is trickle some of that tech R&D stuff down to their US offerings, in affordable options that use much of the R&D (such as the composite/sandwiched cones, alloy domes) without the added cost of cast baskets and other goodies found on their International lines. Pioneer actually designs and builds much of their own drivers, one of the largest OEM driver manufacturers in the world.

Like these (mostly from their local Japan market, very discerning market for sure):

Still considered a go-to CD player

Remember those speakers and those cones/domes?

And these which are the ones used in those TS-Z65C's andCHs and fs.

Last edited:
The biggest question is how much you want to spend.

Have any of you heard the PPI P.65C3 components. I just heard some, and they sounded really good. Especially for a $280 3-way component system.

What do you like about the Polks?
I heard some probably 25 years ago and they sounded smooth.

I really am dead set on a powered sub under the seat 👍👍

Stay away from infinity products…their not what they used to be…..
There are several companies that are not the same any longer.. even the well known named you have mentioned

the Polks sound very nice on power for the $ spent and will ply at lower Htz freq. than most speakers on the market at the price range, giving you more Midbass and midrage are. the tweeters are crisp and on point and not a fatigue experience afterwards. A nice blend with a decent 60+ rms power range. Infinity Kappa are still some really great speakers as well. To keep from clipping and distortion and damaging speakers by turning up the volume knob to get a bit louder on hu power alone(11-15 watts RMS If that?) An amplifier is recommended and worth the money installing to help clean up distortion and the addition of supplying the power needed to give the drivers the justice they deserve to thrive towards keeping from damaging the speakers and to perform as intended

The only compact powered sub that serves any justice that Ive come across is an SAS Bazooka. Im sure you can fit an 8 behind the drivers seat. The non powered Ive recommended will serve well on that 5 ch CT sounds amplifier and serve the rest of the speakers in the truck nicely without killing the bank/$ spending. speakers off the radio power is just about useless for me. Low powered speakers are recommended of 50 rms would be approx the way to go, any more rms speakers I would highly recommend to be amplified to serve any type of justice. Later that individual always wants more eventually as time elapses. Usually a month or two. You may even like the components and coax in the rears on an amplifier and not even want a sub. For the price of that 5 ch CT sounds, at least there will be supply for a small sub if wanted in the future

Can you elaborate?
Is it sound quality? Build quality?
The lower tier Infinity speakers you have chosen are not great speakers , though Id run them rather than Kicker speakers of the same range. the Kappa series are well worth the $ spent on an amplifier and still very detailed and crisp.Not as well as the Polks DB and especially the MM series from my experiencing and using/having personally.

Yes, you will definitely hear it without an amp, but adding an amp is going to be like having an extra 3-5 on the volume knob, and it will be clear up there. I would expect that head unit, just like most, is going to have distortion and possibly clipping when the volume is maxed out.

Then I would think you would need to question the volume you like to listen to music to, vs the level your son is going to listen to it.

Perhaps a head unit that has a little more power. These specs you wanted:
Here are a few things I like:
Display color can match the truck dash
20w per channel amp
Sub output
High and low pass filters
10 band EQ
Are pretty much standard on every head unit.

13 band eq is a little more popular.

You listed sub output, but you should really be looking for something with at least 2 preouts, one for sub and one for a door/mids and highs amp/front channel. The one you listed also has 2v preouts. Which will work, but the higher the voltage going out, the less the amps are working, and will have less distortion. 4v and 5v is pretty easy to get.

That head unit doesn't have android auto or apple carplay. All it really connects to is XM radio, do you have that in your truck? Do you know what kind of phone he has? If he listens to any streaming music, (if he has an unlimited phone plan, or certain carriers include it) I'm sure he will.

Doesn't have time alignment.

Personally, I'm a fan of Kenwood Excelon. This head unit does all the sony does, and more, and just so happens to be $60 off right now, making it cheaper than the Sony you listed.
(3) 5v preouts, 13band eq, plays from more streaming options, has front and rear USB (which generally means run a cord from the back to hide a phone, and a flash drive in the front).

I love Kenwood/JVC Head units. Some the best affordable within the market that I myself run,and have, if Im not using my older Eclipse 5 and 8v units. Time Alignment is not for everyone, especially if having passengers that ride along, yet quite beneficial for those that ride alone for sure.

Last edited:
The biggest question is how much you want to spend.

Have any of you heard the PPI P.65C3 components. I just heard some, and they sounded really good. Especially for a $280 3-way component system.
Deff a dammned good question for sure for those to help recommend within that budget.
Ive been looking at those components for a very long time myself. Im just not fond of the ribbon look of the tweeters,though those can be replaced with a set of other tweeters. Im sure that set sounds really nice on a decent amplifier/HU and prepped doors. And a really nice price for a 3way set up

Cresendo make some of the nicest and well performing amplifiers and audio gear on the market. I myself have been looking at this 6 ch amplifier.
Man I love mine. I've got 2ohm components up, 2 ohm coaxes in the rear, and channel 5 &6 bridged to my front sub. Everything sounds clean and I haven't had it get warm at all. The fan is annoying on start up but I can't hear once the music starts 😂

I came across those too. Seen all the drivers out on the alibaba sight for sure. Wonder who is making them for PPI? Looked long and hard at those, and then remembered the last time I trusted PPI... to say that my previous confidence went up in smoke is not a pun.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...