help with box for 8 alpine type r 12s

Participant count
  • Participant list

philgoodscustom
10+ year member

Ok I have 8 alpine type r 12s . I wanted to build a box for it probably ported and I had a couple of questions. When it comes to the box does it need to be individually chambered or can all 8 subs share the same chamber. Also if they do share the same chamber is the internal volume what's considered for airspace for each subwoofer or do u calculate the total internal volume of the box and divide it by all 8 subwoofers to see how much cubic feet each sub is using. The reason why I ask is because the alpine specs ask for about 2 cf per sub. And if I put all the subs in one chamber it would be more them 2 cubic feet.I hope I'm explaining it correctly lol

If you wanna build a wall type build, make a clamshell design. In sealed boxes. Bout 1-1.25 cu. per. With that many subs if you do it right it'll slam. It's a 4th order. A sealed box firing into a ported chamber.

Yes you can use a common chamber for all of the subs. 8 subs at 2 cf each is 16 cf, I'm going to assume thats net volume. Thats going to be a VERY large box. I hope you have a cargo van. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i have a 97 tahoe....i dont have the knowledge to build a clameshell plus i hate walls because i like to be able to see out my back window. yea i know i could get a rear view camera but i dont like those either. however i do like the clean tight bass that sealed boxes have. ive always wanted to do some nice hair tricks so i might end up having to do ported.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 97 tahoe....i dont have the knowledge to build a clameshell plus i hate walls because i like to be able to see out my back window. yea i know i could get a rear view camera but i dont like those either. however i do like the clean tight bass that sealed boxes have. ive always wanted to do some nice hair tricks so i might end up having to do ported.
I dont know how much space you have.. But take some measurements of the max dimensions you can use and hit up pro-rabbit. He can design you a proper box for your subwoofers for a small fee.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.