Help with audio for my truck

Goode

Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jun 29, 2017
Charleston, SC
Hi, new to this forum, so sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Anyways, i recently bought a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500HD and since i've had subs in every vehicle i've owned, i can't stand not having them now haha. So i am looking at putting 4 8" subs under the back seat in a ported box. Looking at 3 different set ups, 1) Rockford Fosgate P2D2 or D4 8s along with a P1000x1 or P1000x2 amp from RF as well. 2) Sundown Audio E8 V.5, but i'm not sure which amp, i've been told i could run the E8 D2s on a SAE-1500D @ 1 ohm and that would be my best option with those subs. 3) Sundown Audio SA 8s, but again, i don't know what ohm subs i should buy, D2 or D4, or what amp i should run with those. Any help would be appreciated!

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
Rating - 100% 
2   0   0
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
4 8's...hmmm love some multiple sub set ups. I'd go with Sundown E8 v5 because Im a SA nuthugger lol.

BOOMINGRANDPA

CHEAP A/F
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2017
NC
any of the sundown 8's are nice, don't look like u have ton of power, u may should stick to the E's.. but do u know airspace yet? assuming amp is 1 ohm stable mono u would want 4 d2 subs wired to 4ohm each., u could also get a 2nd sub amp and run 1krms per pair should be good if u did that u would need d4's wire 2 ohm each..

OP
Goode

Goode

Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jun 29, 2017
Charleston, SC
any of the sundown 8's are nice, don't look like u have ton of power, u may should stick to the E's.. but do u know airspace yet? assuming amp is 1 ohm stable mono u would want 4 d2 subs wired to 4ohm each., u could also get a 2nd sub amp and run 1krms per pair should be good if u did that u would need d4's wire 2 ohm each..
saying i could run the Es on two amps at 1krms? the E8s are only 300w rms, so if i went with 2 amps wouldn't i be overpowering the each sub by 200w? Amps i'm looking at are the SAE 1000D V.2, rms @ 1 ohm for that amp is 1000w, or the SAE 1500D rms @ 1 ohm there is obviously 1500w, i would've thought my best bet would be 4 D2s wired @ 1 ohm. I don't know how much airspace i have available yet, i haven't gotten a quote for my box yet.

BOOMINGRANDPA

CHEAP A/F
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2017
NC
saying i could run the Es on two amps at 1krms? the E8s are only 300w rms, so if i went with 2 amps wouldn't i be overpowering the each sub by 200w? Amps i'm looking at are the SAE 1000D V.2, rms @ 1 ohm for that amp is 1000w, or the SAE 1500D rms @ 1 ohm there is obviously 1500w, i would've thought my best bet would be 4 D2s wired @ 1 ohm. I don't know how much airspace i have available yet, i haven't gotten a quote for my box yet.
yeah couple xtra watts is ok if u set gains low, but yeah y may wanta stay 1500 or under for 4 8's (those anyway) we have a guy running 3500 to 2 sq 8's

BOOMINGRANDPA

CHEAP A/F
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2017
NC
hey man has anyone mentioned the cab 1600 amp to u yet?, that would be 400rms per sub $199 but man it's a huge amp weighs 30 pounds just saying but may be perfect for u power wise..

shredder1

CarAudio.com Elite
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Dec 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
hey man has anyone mentioned the cab 1600 amp to u yet?, that would be 400rms per sub $199 but man it's a huge amp weighs 30 pounds just saying but may be perfect for u power wise..
Oh... BTW... CAB lists 30 lb on their site as the weight but they actually are 15 lb each... I own 2... at 18.5" x 8" x 2" it is a good sized amp tho... thought you'd want to know...

BOOMINGRANDPA

CHEAP A/F
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2017
NC
Oh... BTW... CAB lists 30 lb on their site as the weight but they actually are 15 lb each... I own 2... at 18.5" x 8" x 2" it is a good sized amp tho... thought you'd want to know...
i ordered 1 for a guy it was heavy

shredder1

CarAudio.com Elite
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Dec 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
i ordered 1 for a guy it was heavy
Yeah I thought so too but I ordered 2 amps about 7 months apart and warrantied one so I actually PAID return shipping and it was for 15 lb... I think it is deceptive as they are long and skinny... LOL!... IDK... the B2 M1 is listed at 30lb and that amp IS 30 lb... My Skar EVL's were 30 lb ea and they were HEAVY compared to the CAB amps... I think it is really a trick in perception tho... Oh well...

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
Rating - 100% 
14   0   0
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
saying i could run the Es on two amps at 1krms? the E8s are only 300w rms, so if i went with 2 amps wouldn't i be overpowering the each sub by 200w?
Yes, and if you even have to ask you really shouldn't plan to give them more than rated power.

Best to check how much mounting depth you have as well. Most of the really rubust 8's are very deep.

I wouldn't go out of my way to pay MSRP for Sundown amps. They're nothing special compared to a dozen other "brands" that are just the same handful of Korean class D designs with different names etched on the heatsink. The only compelling reason I'd see would be customer/warranty support which you may well be able to get elsewhere at the price point.

OP
Goode

Goode

Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jun 29, 2017
Charleston, SC
Yes, and if you even have to ask you really shouldn't plan to give them more than rated power.
Best to check how much mounting depth you have as well. Most of the really rubust 8's are very deep.

I wouldn't go out of my way to pay MSRP for Sundown amps. They're nothing special compared to a dozen other "brands" that are just the same handful of Korean class D designs with different names etched on the heatsink. The only compelling reason I'd see would be customer/warranty support which you may well be able to get elsewhere at the price point.
Right, that's why I was asking, i'm not exactly a expert on this, i know the very basics, pretty limited knowledge haha. Really would like to learn this stuff way better i just haven't, that's why i came here, hoping to get some help from some experts. I believe i should have plenty of mounting depth, worried about airspace next. Getting a quote for a box from a shop when i get back home and have a chance to go off base. BTW, does anyone know any good box builders around Charleston SC they'd recommend?

OP
Goode

Goode

Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jun 29, 2017
Charleston, SC

Also, do you have any other amps you'd recommend?

OP
Goode

Goode

Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jun 29, 2017
Charleston, SC
No, ill have to look into it

BOOMINGRANDPA

CHEAP A/F
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Jan 8, 2017
NC
No, ill have to look into it
yeah running 4 subs like u are u may go tad below 1 ohm and at .8ohm it's rated at over 3k dynamic which should be like 2100rms lol for $199.. but u gotta spend time adjusting gain and everything get that right before mount amp somewhere u can't get to it., i set gain low for kid and ss filter, xover and he screwed it to back wall of truck and now i can't see the settings at all looking at the up side down.. * NEW * CAB-1600.1 Amplifier - Car Audio Bargain it's recommended 5 times a week here, there are much better amps but most of them are at least twice the $ so up to u.. like i said my ppi p1k is a little cheaper than that and pretty reliable almost 1200rms so look around..

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
Rating - 100% 
14   0   0
Sep 10, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Right, that's why I was asking, i'm not exactly a expert on this, i know the very basics, pretty limited knowledge haha. Really would like to learn this stuff way better i just haven't, that's why i came here, hoping to get some help from some experts. I believe i should have plenty of mounting depth, worried about airspace next. Getting a quote for a box from a shop when i get back home and have a chance to go off base. BTW, does anyone know any good box builders around Charleston SC they'd recommend?
Well, Atomic APX 8" is beast and should hang with 1500w to a pair (again, check the mounting depth). I'd stick to 1500W or less on the amp if you don't want to start getting into electrical upgrades.

Other comparable amps include DC, DD, Incriminator, American Bass (VFL line), Atomic, Twisted Sounds, Ampere Audio, Crescendo, Soundqubed, and I believe SSA just came out with a couple amps that look promising (there's probably half a dozen more that use the same or similar boards and are all built in the same couple Korean factories). If you're shopping brick and mortar JL, kicker, Rockford, and Alpine should all have good offerings in the 1200W region but steer clear of their low end lines.

Twisted Sounds TS1.3KW

Here's a good deal on the Twisted amp refurbished. These guys are local to me and do good work and that amp is going to be conservatively rated.

shredder1

CarAudio.com Elite
Rating - 0% 
0   0   0
Dec 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
It's always hard to be moving around... I know, but I'd join a Facebook group like this... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471462273118092/ ... I'm sure there are lots of shops and enthusiasts that can help you out locally if you ask.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds