HELP figuring out size of alternator needed!

Participant count
  • Participant list

cmartinez73

CarAudio.com Recruit
I am trying to run 4k RMS to 2 12s out of an 8kW amp in a 2006-11 civic si (the 2.0L) the amps of the oem alt is around 105-110, i know im going to need electrical upgrades. Can anyone help me/ tell me how to figure out the power my alternator puts out. I assume I will probably need an extra battery aswell any reccomendations on the battery as well?
new to this stuff and trying to learn any help would be gratl appreciated!

After writing that, I see you're talking about a taramps smart 8. Thats not an 8k watt RMS amp. It's a 5K watt RMS amp, and those speakers are 2K watt RMS each.
I mean online i can pretty much just find that its rated at 8k rms, either way 5 or 8 i just need 4k of rms (2x2=4), and the cubic feet rating of the woofers are 2.25-2.75 if i did a box 35x15x16.5 (which have fit in other civics) it would give me 5.1 cu ft, subtract the interanls taking up airspace it would still put me over the mininum recommended airspace of 4.5 cu ft so theoritcally would work fine (not the ideal case but im fine w that). So back to the electrical, could i get by with a 320 amp alt and 1 extra battery in the back?

I'm out, and you don't need two threads.
Im just honeslty asking for help, like you said i am knew to this, you seem to know how to calculate this stuff and know about other things to keep in mind, you told me good information but it would apply if i was trying to run 8k rms. could you help me? ill delete a thread (i just got extra info sorry It wasnt intended in a bad way)

With that much power,in that car, knowing that there are usually an ELD for the electrical system. I wouldnt place anything less than a 300-320 amp HO Alt, the Big3, and a min of 3-4 decent sized agm batts. Maybe @Popwarhomie has the solution and has found the source here?? This is the first time Im reading on that new batt myself. I wouldnt mind having a min of 2 of those myself, though I need more research and user experiences.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...