HELP!!! Bass lacks unless I put the balance all the way to one side

mgzilla

nJ
Alright, I've got a Pioneer Premier head unit, Pioneer 3 ways in the dash, and two Pioneer 6x9 5-ways in the back. I have no subwoofers.

For some reason, the lack of the bass in my car compared to other stock systems is absolutely astounding. I've been fooling with the stereo FOREVER trying to get my bass to sound good. Finally, I did something very interesting today, I put the balance all the way to the right. BAM! Awesome bass. Then, when I put it all the way to the left, BAM, awesome bass again. The closer the balance gets to the middle, the less bass I get...I'm confused though, because when I fade to just the two 6x9s, it doesn't have much bass.

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to amp the two 6x9s (or all 4 speakers, but i'll probably just do the back ones) but I want to confirm that if I drop money on an amp that can drive them to their RMS power that it will fix my lack of bass problem.

Thank you sooooo much for the help, this problem has plagued me for so long...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Sounds like it might be a phase problem. Try reversing the polarity on one of your rear (6x9) speakers (put the plus to the minus side and vise versa). If your speakers are running out of phase, you will have cancellation.

The 6x9s are 400W Max, 80 W Nominal.

Head Unit is Pioneer Premier DEH-P610BT Pioneer Premier DEH-P610BT CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

pilyin, I do not believe it is a phase problem. I just went out and tried your suggestion, however, there is a small plug that can only fit onto the small metal terminal of the speaker (it cannot get onto the big one), and the big one of course goes on the big one, and will not stay on the small one. They match up so I'm guessing this is not the issue.

Any help? I think I might just go buy an 80w RMS x 2 channel amp....

i doubt its the polarity, especially if he is wriring to a harness on a headunit.

your gonna need more than headunit power to see any midbass output in a 80rms speaker.

could i reverse polarity by switching wires connected to the back of the head unit rather than forcing and taping wires to speakers? because that's the only way I will be able to reverse the polarity of the back 6x9s...

If you're getting good bass output when one is working and little to no bass output when both speakers are working, that is more than likely a phase issue,even if the colors seem to match, not a power issue. Yes you can change the polarity at the headunit. Try it. I could be wrong, but that really sounds like the problem to me.

By the way, the speakers would definitely sound better amped, and I'd also go with a four channel. I wouldn't just amp the rear speakers.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for everyone who told me it was a phase/polarity issue. I went back out and switched the rear left 6x9 around without having to electrical tape or force anything actually, and my music has SOOOOOOOO much more depth and punch, it seriously sounds like I have subwoofers. I have near 20000 songs on my iPod and now they're all basically going to sound brand new to my ears! Once again, thank you!!!

No problem. Glad it worked out. Enjoy. Well you're at it, you might want to check and make sure that your front speakers are in phase also. It's not nearly as big an issue, but it could have an effect. Just make sure when a good bass note hits, all your speakers are moving in one direction (out or in). Glad we could help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.