Help! Audio Technix 400.1 clipping.

CFader

LA
Well I finally got my amp and sub hooked up. It sounds better than expected, but after 5 minutes of playing I started to smell like that burnt smell. I kept on driving and noticed the clipping light on the gain knob was flickering on and off. Every time I turn the bass up the clipping light begins to clipping. Unfortunately the person that did the installation can't take a look at it till tomorrow. I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out why I am having this problem. It's a 10" strato with 400.1 audio technix amp. It is wired to 1 ohm. They have 8 gauge wires from fosgate. Thanks

Sealed, and for 200 dollars i think they sound amazing. The only thing is when the volume is up they start to clip. What do you mean by breakin?

Well I finally got my amp and sub hooked up. It sounds better than expected, but after 5 minutes of playing I started to smell like that burnt smell. I kept on driving and noticed the clipping light on the gain knob was flickering on and off. Every time I turn the bass up the clipping light begins to clipping. Unfortunately the person that did the installation can't take a look at it till tomorrow. I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out why I am having this problem. It's a 10" strato with 400.1 audio technix amp. It is wired to 1 ohm. They have 8 gauge wires from fosgate. Thanks

don't run it any longer until you have someone whom knows what they are doing look at it. Gain isn't set right, amp is probably not set right altogether. Every time you turn the bass up? with what? HU? bass knob?( don't use this like a volume knob ).. if it goes to clipping, simply turn it back down.

There shouldn't be any reason for that burning smell in particular but what you mentioned outright for clipping. Whomever you got to install it, i'd be weary to let " correct " the issue.

I turn it up from the HU the bass knob is just left in the middle. I know he left the gain moderately low because he said not to push the sub too much because just to be safe you want to give it a 2 week period for breaking in.

did he set the gain with any tools....oscope or multimeter? because your may think that its only at half but it doesnt work like that and could be past the clipping point already.....if you have a strong signal to the amp you could possibly get to max clean output even at a 1/4 setting of the gain knob. Gain is not a volume knob

No, unfortunately he did not use any tools like that. I'm taking it to him tomorrow and if the light continues to indicate that it's clipping i'm going to bite the bullet and get it rewired and readjusted by a local shop.

Hey guys I'm back with some updates. So I took the amp and sub to a local shop and long story short it was still clipping. He said the amp can't pick up the sub and he hooked the sub up to a Fosgate one. Man the strato sounded nice. He offered to sell me the amp, but it was out of my price range. I sent Rick from Audio Technix an email asking if I can upgrade my 400.1 to the 800.1. So now it's just a waiting game.

Hey guys I'm back with some updates. So I took the amp and sub to a local shop and long story short it was still clipping. He said the amp can't pick up the sub and he hooked the sub up to a Fosgate one. Man the strato sounded nice. He offered to sell me the amp, but it was out of my price range. I sent Rick from Audio Technix an email asking if I can upgrade my 400.1 to the 800.1. So now it's just a waiting game.
The amp... can't pick up.... the sub? Is your sub d2 or d4?

God **** the retards out there that can install. If you would have bought that Rf amp just because he tried to sell it to you, knowing that's what he is trying to do.. make money, then i'd nominated you for King Tard of 2013 already this year. Tell him to go **** himself he doesn't know what he's talking about and to set the damned amp like he is supposed to do as an installer.

i've never heard such ****.. the amp can't pick up the sub.. lol if it's a d4 it may not power it as much.. if it's d2, it should "pick it up" plenty. My God... I dunno how to even take this. I think you should honestly, not have a system or mess with one until you do some heavy reading.. just because it's wasting your time and money both. I am not saying it to be mean.. i'm saying it to stop you from wasting those things. Get a better understanding of it.. keep what you have now and just wait.. learn and then do it yourself. I doubt you can upgrade something you already have unless you plan to just sell your old amp on here and buy a new one. "upgrading" doesn't work like that hardly with companies anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.