ground help

ground back to the battery or to the body?

• battery

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • body

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

NIKON
10+ year member

I am running over 2000 watts should I ground back to the battery or to the body of my car? I have a 02 WRX and am running 2 viper 400.2 and one 1200.1 for amps.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

ground at the body ---for one ---the cars body acn carry way more current then any wire your thinking about------second --the negitive battery is a very noise area to ground

plus the added length of wire you'll need to go back to the battery for a ground will give you quite some resistence (WHICH IS BAD)

i would think that grounding back to the battery for higher power is better then using the chassis ground. Because you know that there is a good ground connection. The wire resistance shouldn't be a problem if you use larger wire. 1 gauge or 0 gauge. I have heard that running a ground wire to the battery for high power is better i have not tested or tried it.

But the adv. would be (i would think)

1- the ground that goes from the battery to the body is small (compared to amp power cable) plus it carries all the noise and current returns for all other electrical components in your car.

2- if you twist the +12 and gnd cable together on the run you can sheild the noise that will be coming off of it.

3- a very common pratise in electronic is to use a Star Pt. ground. Which means all the ground connections are brought back to one point to reduce noise. aka the battery terminal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...