Ground hum after taking dash apart

Participant count
  • Participant list

chillin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I had to take my dash off my 2013 hyundai sonata because the defrost wasn't working. The door was jammed on front panel blowers. I disconnected the battery and had to disconnect all the radio harnesses and rcas as well. Never touched the ground or power to amps, just harnesses. It's all back together now and there's a ground hum very noticeable through tweeters, but a little coming through mids too. Any ideas before I pull out all apart again? The crossovers didn't go back in quite as neat as last time. They're on the hu.

HU: kenwood ddx6906s
Front amp: taramps ts400x4
Comps: cdt cl62pro
Sub amp: crossfire vr1000d
Sub: skar vvx12 (bought before all the **** went down)

Do you have a spare amp to throw on your highs just to test and rule out your amp?

I've seen radio grounds, rca cables, and amps cause noise so you might have to start eliminating items one by one..
Could also try your phone as your music source to see if the noise goes away too.

I don't have a spare amp at the moment. Is it possible the negative of the battery is causing an issue as that's the only thing that I disconnected besides harnesses?

Forgot to mention, the rear speakers which are powered off the head unit have no noise, only the front components. Which seems strange since the only thing I touched related to the comp amp was the rca wires.

Forgot to mention, the rear speakers which are powered off the head unit have no noise, only the front components. Which seems strange since the only thing I touched related to the comp amp was the rca wires.

If you can hook up a different source like a phone to your front stage amp that would narrow down things alot.

I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow. I haven't dealt with many ground issues, but if it's the amp, will it still make noise with the rca disconnected?

I would check and see if you put the RCAs in the right spot9L to Left and Right to right and ) pushed in all the way. check to see if those xovers are secure connected. you said they didnt go in right? Check that. look at the ground and make sure its connected properly and not loose.

Well, I disconnected the rca from the amp and heard no noise. Plugged them back in again and no hum, but only sound from one side now.

Unfortunately it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to get the deck out and back in with all the extra connectors. The ones for the heating, etc are super short, so my hands are scraped up from each time I disconnect and reconnect them. And I'm flying out for a week in the morning so I won't be figuring this out till I'm back.

Well, I'm back from vacation and there's no sound from the right speaker unless I take a hard corner, then it kicks in and the hum starts, but only through that speaker. I'm guessing it's the rca.

Unfortunately the high temp this week is 30° and I don't have a garage.

I've had hum come from RCA cables being pushed on, at the plug. If you didn't really change anything, my guess is it's the way the wires are in. If you can pull everything out so all the wires are loose, and test it. You might be bunching up wires, once it's all stuffed in, and they are blocking the RCAs from having their "own personal space".

That HU does not have the RCA's on a dongle at the back
They actually plug right in to the back old school style
What are the chances that the plugs are pushing up against something back there
Right angle adapter will help if you have space issues
I always hated using things like that
When it comes to source wires the less connections the better but sometimes you don't have a choice.

It could also be that the actual RCA cable is caught between the HU and part of the car
If its pinched it will defiantly cut out or hum

That HU does not have the RCA's on a dongle at the back
They actually plug right in to the back old school style
What are the chances that the plugs are pushing up against something back there
Right angle adapter will help if you have space issues
I always hated using things like that
When it comes to source wires the less connections the better but sometimes you don't have a choice.

It could also be that the actual RCA cable is caught between the HU and part of the car
If its pinched it will defiantly cut out or hum
I'm guessing that's what it is. There's not a lot of room back there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...