3-Way Composet choise.. Gladen, Ground-Zero, Focal, etc ?

Crielaars

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone!

I want to upgrade my stock 3-way composet speakers from my Audi A6 C6. I found 3 sets that caught my attention, one Gladen, a Ground-Zero set and a set from Focal. The problem you might ask?? Well, i cannot choose between them.

The speaker sizes for my front door are as follow;
Bass driver 6.5" (16,5 cm)
Mid driver 3" (8 cm)
Tweeter 1" (2,5 cm)

Also the plan later on is to get the same Composet in a 2-Way variant for my rear doors.
The rear doors have room for a 6.5" bass driver and a 1" tweeter.

What set should i buy for a max budget of €350 for a Pair? The Gladen, Ground Zero, Focal or maybe something better for the proce that i do not know of and why?

They are going to be powered with a Audio System Twister F4-600 amplifier and Pioneer DSP, more then enough power and tuning possibilities so to speak.
I am also running 2 Sundown SA12D2 subs powered by a Audio System Twister F2-500 amplifier.

So, what would be your choice and why?;

- Ground Zero GZRC 165.3SQ
Or
- Gladen RS165.3
Or
- Focal Performance 165AS3

I really hope you guys could help me out with your experience and advice.

Hi everyone!

I want to upgrade my stock 3-way composet speakers from my Audi A6 C6. I found 3 sets that caught my attention, one Gladen, a Ground-Zero set and a set from Focal. The problem you might ask?? Well, i cannot choose between them.

The speaker sizes for my front door are as follow;
Bass driver 6.5" (16,5 cm)
Mid driver 3" (8 cm)
Tweeter 1" (2,5 cm)

Also the plan later on is to get the same Composet in a 2-Way variant for my rear doors.
The rear doors have room for a 6.5" bass driver and a 1" tweeter.

What set should i buy for a max budget of €350 for a Pair? The Gladen, Ground Zero, Focal or maybe something better for the proce that i do not know of and why?

They are going to be powered with a Audio System Twister F4-600 amplifier and Pioneer DSP, more then enough power and tuning possibilities so to speak.
I am also running 2 Sundown SA12D2 subs powered by a Audio System Twister F2-500 amplifier.

So, what would be your choice and why?;

- Ground Zero GZRC 165.3SQ
Or
- Gladen RS165.3
Or
- Focal Performance 165AS3

I really hope you guys could help me out with your experience and advice.
Check out CT Sounds, read reviews on Meso 500 w 3 ways

The CT's, most upper end 3 way components units will sound great in your Audi especially if you add DSP to attenuate any that use metal domes. The Focal's are very nice but most of the stores that display them don't do them justice. I've been using their tweeters (A LOT OF THEM) since 1994. What makes or breaks them is the ability to tame a slight resonant peak (often found in metal domes), around 18-20000Hz. Was somewhat difficult to tame with passive x-over’s but starting a 3db decline at around 10000Hz, was pretty effective. DSP is ones savior here. That said, check out the Morel Virtus Nano Carbon 63, My brother has them in his Audi, they sound outstanding! Any of the Morel 3 way's that use the tweeter with the AcuFlex coating are very good. That hand applied AcuFlex damping goo they put on the tweeter just brings the tweeter to a new level of articulation, accuracy, it's what Morel is famouse for.​

Last edited:
Have you looked at any of the CDT 3 way components yet? The HD series are some of my favorite line up of CDT speakers. they usually have a Monthly special on speakers worth taking a look at

Looks also very interesting, only the 3-way systems from the HD line are 6,7" and i need 6,5". Also looked at the CL-632, looks also nice.

The CT's, most upper end 3 way components units will sound great in your Audi especially if you add DSP to attenuate any that use metal domes. The Focal's are very nice but most of the stores that display them don't do them justice. I've been using their tweeters (A LOT OF THEM) since 1994. What makes or breaks them is the ability to tame a slight resonant peak (often found in metal domes), around 18-20000Hz. Was somewhat difficult to tame with passive x-over’s but starting a 3db decline at around 10000Hz, was pretty effective. DSP is ones savior here. That said, check out the Morel Virtus Nano Carbon 63, My brother has them in his Audi, they sound outstanding! Any of the Morel 3 way's that use the tweeter with the AcuFlex coating are very good. That hand applied AcuFlex damping goo they put on the tweeter just brings the tweeter to a new level of articulation, accuracy, it's what Morel is famouse for.​

Nice detailed comment! this is the stuff that helps me allot. But if i summup the story, i can buy whatever i want (within a certain range ofcourse). And use my DSP Filtering options and 32Bands EQ to make every set sound great haha. The brands/types people come up with make it only harder and harder to choose which one i should buy.

The CLs are okay, but the HDs are definitely worth the extra bucks.
Okay get it.

Currently i am looking at this set https://www.muswayusa.com/Product/MG63A
The MUSWAY MG6.3A. The only "problem" is that i need a 3-Way passive crossover with this set.
But i kinda really like the Musway set, in looks, quality and specs.

So if i would go with this set, i need a good crossover for them.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Crielaars

CarAudio.com Newbie
Crielaars
Venlo, The Netherlands
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies