Good 6.5" mid and 1" soft dome tweet combo bi amped, 85 x 4, up to $700

LoneStarWings
10+ year member

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of 6.5" mids and a 1" soft dome tweets (I prefer the smoother sound of soft domes) to put in the front doors of my Tahoe.

I am getting a Pioneer Premier deh-p800prs Head Unit. If you aren't familiar with it, this unit has an active 3 way crossover with adjustable slopes up to 24 db/oct and selectable freqs roughly every 1/3 octave 25hz - 12.5 khz. In other words, I don't necessarily need a packaged component set, but I can still get one, I just won't use the passive crossover. Otherwise I could use a set with a bi ampable passive crossover.

I am going to us a 4 channel amp, a phoenix gold RSd 500.4 (85 x 4 @ 4 ohms) to power my front stage.

Anyway, I am willing to spend somewhere between 500 - 700 bucks on the 4 speakers (two tweets, two mids). I would prefer to buy an american made speaker, if any exist. Otherwise I'd at least like to stick to a US company.

Right now the front runners are Image Dynamics XS 6.5" w/ x-28 tweets or CDT audio ES-07's w/ DRT-25 tweeters.

Anyone have thoughts or preferences between these two, or other reccomendations? I'm looking for a smooth, refined sound with a generous helping of midbass growl. Thanks.

CDT!!!

In my opinion, you don't even need the Eurosport line, especially if you're running 85w... just run the CL6 woofer and DRT-25 tweets. I ran full active for a while, but like the tweets a lot better with the Satnet 560 crossover (upgrade to the CL-series, comes on the ES series sets).

My goal was exactly the same as yours, and that's the setup I landed on.

Nothing wrong with the ID components, but neither me nor my IASCA SQ-involved installer friend liked them as much as the CDTs.

CDT!!!
In my opinion, you don't even need the Eurosport line, especially if you're running 85w... just run the CL6 woofer and DRT-25 tweets. I ran full active for a while, but like the tweets a lot better with the Satnet 560 crossover (upgrade to the CL-series, comes on the ES series sets).

My goal was exactly the same as yours, and that's the setup I landed on.

Nothing wrong with the ID components, but neither me nor my IASCA SQ-involved installer friend liked them as much as the CDTs.
Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that you reccomend the CL-6 even over the HD-6. That's the thing about CDT....they make about 8 6.5" midrange/woofers to decide between. Not that this is a bad thing. I just wish I could figure out the difference between all of them, as I certainly have no where to listen to them.

I'd take the ID set... Any particular reason you want an american made brand? There are plenty of good companies out there that offer superior products for within your price range.

I'd take the ID set... Any particular reason you want an american made brand? There are plenty of good companies out there that offer superior products for within your price range.
Nah, the US made thing is just a personal preference for this install. I was running some Focal 165k2's for a long time before this and just want to change it up and see if a US designed speaker might suit me this time around.

I've got no aversion to using OEM type products either, heck I run a dayton titanic in my home theater. Any specific PE mid/tweet combos I should look at? Most of them seem to be 8 ohm, which would give me some power problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.