Getting back into it, asking for advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Antiping

So I'm really bad at wording these things, sorry if it gets long. I haven't done any car audio stuff for about 10 years and figured you guys could steer me in the right direction.

Our last vehicle was a chrysler 300c with Boston acoustic premium audio. We liked it enough that we never did anything to the sound system. We recently bought a Hyundai Genesis coupe with the infinity premium audio, and are very underwhelmed by it. It's nowhere near as good as the Chrysler, and we want to fix that. There are a few problems though.

1: we don't want to change the head unit, since it's a 2 piece integrated navigation with a weird dash trim kit.

2: we don't have a lot of room in the trunk for additional subwoofers.

3: we want good clear sound, with the ability to get really low and still respectably loud. We tend to listen to mostly electronic (trap, sub, trance, house etc) and occasionally she will watch a movie with the sound going through the car.

4: I'm a cheap bastard so I don't want to spend a whole lot of $ all in one go.

So I was thinking there are probably a few ways to go.

1:I have a 10" pioneer premier ts-w2504spl from way back that we really enjoyed. I could buy a box, amp, LOC and put that in the trunk. It takes up the most room but would be the cheapest option.

2: replace the OEM 8" sub in the rear deck with a much better one. I would have to buy an amp, probably some sort of LOC or x-over, and would have to tear apart the rear end of the car. More labour intensive than the other options, and probably will have the worst sound, but no box needed.

3: buy shallow mount woofers in a down firing box and put in the trunk. Again, I would need to buy an amp and LOC, but this would be the easiest thing to do. I'm just worried it would be expensive and not be able to hit those low notes that we crave in our music. However it does leave room in the trunk. Kind of the middle ground option.

So, what is everyone's thoughts? Any reccomendations on sub's, amps, boxes, LOC etc and where to find them?

Thanks

My buddy has a Hyundai Genesis coupe and they actually make subwoofer boxes to fit in the trunk (closest to the back seat). Its a custom size and everything to fit perfectly in that room, its about 1 foot deep and its a 10 inch sub box (sealed). He went to best buy and just got a basic Kicker cvr on about 500 watts and it sounds not too bad. I would suggest looking into one of those boxes, getting a LOC , I've had good luck with PAC and Axxess. Ive had also good experiences with hifonics amps for cheap ones.

I know what boxes your talking about. Zen enclosures makes them in single & dual 10" or 12". The problem with going that route is the space. That box literally uses up half of the trunk, makes the pass-thru unusable, and it weighs a lot. I like the suggestion, its just not what I want to do. If I can't get anything else to work properly I might though.

welcome to the sub life man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif I mean for a decent sounding sub box, that option is good because it uniformly fits and makes the most out of the space (except for making the pass through unusable). I know JL makes some stealth boxes that are really small but they are quite expensive. You could try to build a box that fits along the side of the trunk. but other than that i mean you're gonna have to sacrifice some space for good bass. I don't think putting better subs in the rear deck could replicate the "lows" that well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.