Getting an optima red top.

Participant count
  • Participant list

tpatten12345
10+ year member

Last week I ordered an optima red top for my car, it is scheduled to come in in another week. This morning on my way to work my cars battery died so later today i am going to buy another optima red top locally. Currently i only have a 90 amp stock alternator however in the near future I will be getting a 160 amp, also i currently have a 35 farad digital capacitor. My question is should i return one when my new battery comes in or should i just keep both and put one in the back with my sound system?

With my current setup do you think it would be worth having a dedicated battery along with my 35 farad capacitor or should i just return my second battery?

With my current setup do you think it would be worth having a dedicated battery along with my 35 farad capacitor or should i just return my second battery?
My opinion yes. I would have a dediucated battery for your system. It willno doubt help with the life of all of your stuff

another option i have is to get an optima yellow top and use it as my main battery till my redtop comes in and then put my redtop up front and my yellow top in the back with my sub and amp

another option i have is to get an optima yellow top and use it as my main battery till my redtop comes in and then put my redtop up front and my yellow top in the back with my sub and amp
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif is in town tonight

nothing huge, just 500 watt digital amp and soon to be 400 watts for speakers but my lights still dim a little on long hard hits
You should not have issues with dimming lights running 500 watts. I suspect clipping.

I am driving an older subaru with lots of accessories and only a 90 amp alternator thats 10+ years old and a bad battery, i definitely am not experiencing any clipping its just a small electrical system with a huge load on it and i am just trying to see what the best upgrade would be. I am currently running a JL 12w6 off of an Alpine PDX-V9(digital amp, no peak or rms wattage just 500 all the time) and i only experience lights dimming if i have constant bass for over 45- 60 seconds with no time to recharge and only the very low hard hitting bass causes the dimming.

When i say a huge load i mean the amp aswell as several other accessories in the car and due to its age it probably is only really putting out like 60 amps so overall my electrical system is overloaded.

I would go with matching red or yellows, before mixing them. Just use the two reds and, like what was said before, ditch the cap. Should be plenty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.