Gain Setting Tutorial

I like how he states "to set your gains properly" yet he neglects to use the oscope right in front of him.
maybe its broken and he didnt wanna tell us....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

This was already asked but I didn't see anyone answer it.

I have a 70RMSx4 @4ohm power acoustik amp that will power a set of components and a set of rear fills. I calculated the voltage to be around 16.5v. However, the speakers it will be powering, are all rated at 120rms. My question is, since the amp is not powerful enough to overpower the speakers, do I still need to follow this gain adjust guide or do I just set the gains to max and be on my way?

nevermind. Got the answer in another thread. In case someone asks again. Yes, you need to do the gain adjusting procedure even if the amp puts out less power than the speakers can handle...

oK i've been reading this thread for awhile now and plan on finally setting up my equipment properly.

Now I can generate my own 0dB sine waves all day. My problem is deciding on what tones to use for the subs.

I notice people using 32, 35, 60hz, and so on instead of the 80hz mentained in the first post. Why is this?

Would this benefit me in any way? Does doing this effectivelly shift the range in which frequencys are louder?

What about midbass/kickbass? Is 1k the defacto or would 800hz or 1250hz be better?

Your subs should never be playing in the 800hz or 1250hz range. Ever!

Setting the gain with a certain frequency, IE - 32hz, 45hz, 50hz, will cause that frequency to produce the most output from the amp.

Normally your frequency range for subbass is 25hz-90hz. Certain instances would cause you to go lower or higher. But that is the normal playing range.

On music like country, hiphop, rock, newage. The subbass will normally peak around 40-50hz. So select a tone @ that frequency. I normally choose a -10db 40hz tone.

For your sake, select a 0db 40hz tone.

This was already asked but I didn't see anyone answer it.I have a 70RMSx4 @4ohm power acoustik amp that will power a set of components and a set of rear fills. I calculated the voltage to be around 16.5v. However, the speakers it will be powering, are all rated at 120rms. My question is, since the amp is not powerful enough to overpower the speakers, do I still need to follow this gain adjust guide or do I just set the gains to max and be on my way?
even if you set your gain to reach 120 rms, with MUSIC it will be half that usually and with settin it with a test tone plus you'll never run into clipping if ya use a tone recorded at 0db //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

plus you'll never run into clipping if ya use a tone recorded at 0db //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
This is not true. Many instances will cause the signal to go in to clipping. Even with the gain set with a 0db tone. Even if it does occure, the clipping will not cause harm to the drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.