Gain maxxed out.

Who thinks this is a bad idea?

• Duh dumbass

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • If you know what your doing, no

Votes: 21 33.9%

• Total voters
My second system consisted of 2 infinity kappa perfect 10.1 single 4 ohm each running off an alpine mrv-t420. I had the gains maxed and nothing ever blew. The dust cap did separate from the cone on one of them though.

My second system consisted of 2 infinity kappa perfect 10.1 single 4 ohm each running off an alpine mrv-t420. I had the gains maxed and nothing ever blew. The dust cap did separate from the cone on one of them though.
then perhaps something did blow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Having the gains maxxed out isnt what is going to cause anything to blow. If the input voltage is very low you dont have any other choice than to crank the gain.

Its when you are trying to get more out of the amplifier than it is capable of producing on a regular basis that clipping happens and things heat up and then bad things happen.

as mentioned from others it's about the incoming source. my H.U being pioneer doesn't give me a full 4v output till it's at max or close to max volume(i beleive around 62 on most?). i currently have my volume max at 40 of 62. thus the gain my my amp is actualy very close to max. my amp stays nice and cool though.

i probrably should reset the volume level on my HU but being that i have blown my HU twice from running it at high volumes of 55 of 62 w/o an amp to push my factory speaker though now that everything is running off external amps i should see if the HU can take it at that volume level again.

i'm just scared of my HU ****ing up again.

this idiot is still getting this much attention?

if he wants to set up his stuff in a crappy manner, let him.

and yes, quit telling us your going to do it and just do it already, unless your doing this for the attention.

Whether or not the noise will be an audible problem is anyone's guess. The point is, you payed good money for a h/u with a hot signal voltage (presumably) and yet you will be setting it up so that it will use almost none of it in the run back to your amps.
Let me ask you this, if your gains were to be set in the middle (just for this discussion's sake), do you really think its a good idea to run one gain in the signal chain at max, and the other at its minimum to make up for it? Does this sound like a reasonable way to set up a signal chain? Why are you so afraid to just set them the right way?
Afraid is a bad term. Lazy is probably better lol. I'll tell you what, I'll try it both ways and I'll go with the bettter result? That way everyone is happy.

Afraid is a bad term. Lazy is probably better lol. I'll tell you what, I'll try it both ways and I'll go with the bettter result? That way everyone is happy.
Honestly its no skin off my back if you chose your way. But what the heck, try it out and see what you like. Seems abit odd this was being done originally as a short cut during the setup phase, and now you are going to do both. And, I certainly cant see any acoustical advantages of your way, so at best you wont notice any difference. The best result you should be hoping for is a net result of no audible change. Any audible change while doing it your way will surely be of the negative variety. But, there may be none either. *shrug* Either way, this is not a good method to recommend to people in general, which is where I suspect this thread was leading originally.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

While that should be true, it is possible to burn up the interior amp from clipping which I think is what he is referring to.
How would this happen? By far the most common way to 'fry' a h/u amp is by placing an improper impedance on it.
If your h/u fries its own amp simply by running the volume near max, you had one shitty head that needed discarded anyway, and you should consider yourself lucky God gave you a sign that its time to upgrade.

this idiot is still getting this much attention?
if he wants to set up his stuff in a crappy manner, let him.

and yes, quit telling us your going to do it and just do it already, unless your doing this for the attention.
x2...quit talking and do it

Honestly its no skin off my back if you chose your way. But what the heck, try it out and see what you like. Seems abit odd this was being done originally as a short cut during the setup phase, and now you are going to do both. And, I certainly cant see any acoustical advantages of your way, so at best you wont notice any difference. The best result you should be hoping for is a net result of no audible change. Any audible change while doing it your way will surely be of the negative variety. But, there may be none either. *shrug* Either way, this is not a good method to recommend to people in general, which is where I suspect this thread was leading originally.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
While posting this thread I knew what the reaction is going to be becuase half the people on here just talk **** while they have their own heads up their asses. I was waiting for someone on here with some sense to post that my way isn't going to damage everything. It may not have any negative effects what so ever or my setup will sound like ****. This just goes to show how half the people on here don't need to tell people how to set their gains and why. Thanks Audioholic, I appeciate your input.

While posting this thread I knew what the reaction is going to be becuase half the people on here just talk **** while they have their own heads up their asses. I was waiting for someone on here with some sense to post that my way isn't going to damage everything. It may not have any negative effects what so ever or my setup will sound like ****. This just goes to show how half the people on here don't need to tell people how to set their gains and why. Thanks Audioholic, I appeciate your input.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...