Gain maxxed out.

Who thinks this is a bad idea?

• Duh dumbass

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • If you know what your doing, no

Votes: 21 33.9%

• Total voters
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
I think this is great myself although your probably laughing at me. If so I could care less.

While posting this thread I knew what the reaction is going to be becuase half the people on here just talk **** while they have their own heads up their asses. I was waiting for someone on here with some sense to post that my way isn't going to damage everything. It may not have any negative effects what so ever or my setup will sound like ****. This just goes to show how half the people on here don't need to tell people how to set their gains and why. Thanks Audioholic, I appeciate your input.
Assuming when setting your way you do not allow anything to clip, and that should be possible, no I dont see it damaging anything. Im just not seeing any real advantage to this method. But like I said, it wont hurt to try it if you just want to see what happens.
Glad I could be of some help.

Assuming when setting your way you do not allow anything to clip, and that should be possible, no I dont see it damaging anything. Im just not seeing any real advantage to this method. But like I said, it wont hurt to try it if you just want to see what happens.
Glad I could be of some help.
The one thing that still sticks in my head is the higher input voltage. I mean I guess I don't understand why I'd have a cleaner signal if I had 8 volts instead of

.25 volts.

This conversation is one of the many reasons I don't bother to post here. Wow, is all I can say. This is why I have a job fixing "my buddy installed it for me" installs every other day. Good luck to you and your experiment. My advice is read some good audio books and learn how things work since you obviously have no idea of how a signal chain works and how to properly set one up. (now I don't have to see" you haven't posted in awhile" at the top of my screen)

The one thing that still sticks in my head is the higher input voltage. I mean I guess I don't understand why I'd have a cleaner signal if I had 8 volts instead of .25 volts.
Imagine you have noise induced into your RCA cable. This noise will be induced at a certain level, measureable in volts (speaking simply here, its abit more complicated). So you have a 'noise floor' at a certain level in your signal cable. Noe you have two h/u's one with a weaker signal voltage (say .25 volts max0 and one with a higher possible signal voltage (say 8volts max). You try one h/u, and then the other. Each setup has the same noise introduced into the cable at the same level, but one h/u is supplying a signal voltage that exceeds this noise level by a greater amount. In effect, the hotter signal voltage has created a wider gap between intended audible signal (from the source unit) and the unintended noise level. This means, at any volume level, the system with the higgher signal voltage will display the noise level at a less audible level.
If you set your signal chain as you suggest, you have basically rediced the signal cable run from the EQ to the amps at the lowest signal level possible, making any induced noise as loud as the system possibly can, when we would want just the opposite. You will decrease the gap between induced noise, and proper signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...