Fuse raing vs watts?

Ok,there has to be some sort of guideline as to how many watts can be pushed a given fuse.Is there a conversion table?
You just have to understand how it works. A fuse has an amp rating meaning it is designed to only allow up to this amount of current to pass through before it blows. We use slow blowing fuses so they will allow over twice the amount of current to pass for a considerable amount of time before they blow so you cannot use this as a definitive guide as others will tell you BUT, Voltage x current(amps) / efficiency = power(watts)

HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE BATMAN!!!

basically you have a 12 volt car so here is simple math using a 30 amp fuse:

12 volts * 30 amps = 360 watts. most amps are around 80% efficient so multiply the 360 like this..

360* .80 = 288 watts rms...

it is only a general guideline tho

but if you see an amp that says 2000 watts but it only has 100 amps of fuse you know it is a bs story...

Last edited by a moderator:
cant always go by fuse ratings, fuses can take bursts over what its rated at, for instance the cadence a7hc which i run 4 of them to keep me in the 200 watt and under class puts out 1400rms at 1 ohm with only a 80 amp fuse, tested and proven many times. one of the best cheater old school amps ever made by zed audio.

I roasted the 40 amp fuse in my Cerwin Vega EXL-400.4 when I was doing dummy load testing for maximum power without clipping. It went poof at 186 watts per channel on a 60 Hz tone. The good news is the amplifier wasn't clipping at 186 watts per channel into 4 ohms bridged and the voltage on my power supply was steady at 12.8 volts.

basically you have a 12 volt car so here is simple math using a 30 amp fuse:
12 volts * 30 amps = 360 watts. most amps are around 80% efficient so multiply the 360 like this..

360* .80 = 288 watts rms...

it is only a general guideline tho

but if you see an amp that says 2000 watts but it only has 100 amps of fuse you know it is a bs story...
Like most amplifiers the Audiopipes only draw 5 amps of current at maximum output given 14.4V input.. but that same fuse can sustain 1000 amps of draw once your voltage drops below 10V.... just ask SicAudio...
where does it say that?

don't get mad cuz i make you eat your words everytime you open your cawk sucker...and //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif I bash AP on here daily noob... learn to read better next time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Noob question - are RMS wattage figures for amps quoted as watts RMS drawn or watts RMS produced? I mean, if I see an amp that apparently has 4 x 50W RMS channels, is it drawing 200W RMS and only producing 100W due to efficiency losses? Or, is it producing 200W and drawing, say, 400W?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.