Fuse , 0/1 - 4awg Cable, Alt ..power?

boominbass
10+ year member

NJ
ALRITE GUYS..I JUS PURCHASED A BRAND NEW MTX 81000D AND IM AM STARTING TO WORRY, ONCE I OPENED THE BOX I SAW THE HARDPLY PAPER W/ THE AMP REQUIREMENTS WHICH ARE A 150AMP FUSE AND 1/0 AWG WIRE. i KNEW THAT THIS WOULD DRAIN MY BATTERY AND MY STOCK 94 BMW 325I ALT - WHICH I THINK PUTS OUT 80AMPS. i CALLED THIS GUY UP AT CARTRONICS AUDIO STORE AND HE SAID THAT I CAN RUN 4 AWG WIRE W/ AN 80 AMP FUSE AND THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM . IS THIS TRU? THEN AGAIN POWER WOULD BE AN ISSUE. WITH WHAT MTX SAYS @ 2 OHMS AT @VOLTS - I SHOULD GET 1200 WATTS ON THE 150AMP FUSE AND 0/1 AWG WIRE SET UP. WILL I GET THE SAME POWER RATINGS W? THE 4 AWG WIRE AND 80 AMP FUSE??? HELP. i HAVENT TAKEN THE AMP OUT OF THE SEALED PLASTIC YET SO I HAVE TIME TO SELL IT TO GET ANOTHER AMP. P.S. I WAS USING THIS AMP TO RUN 2 DVC 12" KICKER SOLOBARIC L5'S WHICH ARE NOT PURCHASED YET..HELLLP[PPPP!!!

Originally posted by boominbass ALRITE GUYS..I JUS PURCHASED A BRAND NEW MTX 81000D AND IM AM STARTING TO WORRY, ONCE I OPENED THE BOX I SAW THE HARDPLY PAPER W/ THE AMP REQUIREMENTS WHICH ARE A 150AMP FUSE AND 1/0 AWG WIRE. i KNEW THAT THIS WOULD DRAIN MY BATTERY AND MY STOCK 94 BMW 325I ALT - WHICH I THINK PUTS OUT 80AMPS. i CALLED THIS GUY UP AT CARTRONICS AUDIO STORE AND HE SAID THAT I CAN RUN 4 AWG WIRE W/ AN 80 AMP FUSE AND THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM . IS THIS TRU? THEN AGAIN POWER WOULD BE AN ISSUE. WITH WHAT MTX SAYS @ 2 OHMS AT @VOLTS - I SHOULD GET 1200 WATTS ON THE 150AMP FUSE AND 0/1 AWG WIRE SET UP. WILL I GET THE SAME POWER RATINGS W? THE 4 AWG WIRE AND 80 AMP FUSE??? HELP. i HAVENT TAKEN THE AMP OUT OF THE SEALED PLASTIC YET SO I HAVE TIME TO SELL IT TO GET ANOTHER AMP. P.S. I WAS USING THIS AMP TO RUN 2 DVC 12" KICKER SOLOBARIC L5'S WHICH ARE NOT PURCHASED YET..HELLLP[PPPP!!!
I would suggest that you go with what MTX says and use a 150 amp fuse and the 0 ga wire. It never hurts to go too big but going too small may cause some problems. You may also have to get your amp rewound. This may cost a some more money than it would with the 4 ga and 80 amp fuse, but it will pay off.

First off, take off your caps lock..

Secondly, you can run the smaller wire and fuse (you MUST run the smaller fuse if you run the smaller wire, the fuse is to protect you, over fusing can burn your car down). You just won't be able to run the amp at full power. You will be able to run it pretty loud though and if the rest of your system isn't really modified you won't be running the subs that high (unless you don't care to hear the rest of the stereo).

The preceding post meant to say you can get your 'alternator' re-wound, that will let you get more amperes from it.. Some are saying it's about $50 for that, probably a little more for a beemer.. you just have to check..

I'd suggest the 0/1 wire and bigger fuse anyway, since someday you will probably get the alt fixed or get a new one.. That way you don't have to re-wire the sound system once you have more power.. Just keep the amp turned down a little until then..

WHAT PROBLEMS WILL THE 4 AWG AND 80AMP FUSE CAUSE?? I REALLY DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPARE ON GETTING 0/1 GAUGE WIRE AND MY ALT REWOUND SO DO YOU THINK GETTING A NEW AMP IS BETTER?

Originally posted by boominbass WHAT PROBLEMS WILL THE 4 AWG AND 80AMP FUSE CAUSE?? I REALLY DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPARE ON GETTING 0/1 GAUGE WIRE AND MY ALT REWOUND SO DO YOU THINK GETTING A NEW AMP IS BETTER?
Hey, you blind? switch off your caps...

It's still morning here, don't shout:furious:

I might be wrong but you might be able to run 4 ga and use a 150 amp fuse, just get yourself an ANL fuse holder. But I would def. get some 0 ga in the future if I were you when you get the $$

Originally posted by snova031 I might be wrong but you might be able to run 4 ga and use a 150 amp fuse, just get yourself an ANL fuse holder. But I would def. get some 0 ga in the future if I were you when you get the $$
If you run a fuse bigger than the wire is rated for and **** a lot of juice through it, you will melt the wire and cause a short and possibly start a fire.. You really don't want to run a fuse rated bigger than you should for the given wire...

If he really wants to run 150 Amp fuse, he should run the 0/AWG wire.. better to see the headlights dimming and back off the gains on the amp than to start a fire in his car..

EDIT: just ran some stuff through a calculator.. 125 amp was the biggest I could get on a 4 gague wire.. 2 gauge would hold a 150 easily.. 2 gauge to about 175 amps..

i would definetly suggest the 0 gauge wiring, i called mtx and they told me if i was to run 4 awg, then the longest i could run it was 8 feet, so unless ur gonna run ur 4 awg 8 feet, then i'd definetly go with the 0. and the rep STRONGLY suggested 0 gauge.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.