Full gain?

Cuznfkr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Texas
I have a Skar rp1500.1 and it’s on 4 jl 10w1v2s , they’re asking for ~ 250w rms each. I tuned the amp the old fashioned way because I don’t have all the fancy doo dads. My amp is at almost full gain , it is at about 94% gain. Is this ok? Will the amp clip at such a high level?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Thank you so much for explaining this helped almost as much as the first guy
Sorry... it is not a good idea to have your gain so high. What that will do is introduce and amplify massive amounts of distortion and most likely will blow your subs in a short amount of time. amplified distortion causes heat in the voice coils and can break the thin copper wires via the heat.

Reactions: Cuznfkr

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
if you need to set it that high to get any kind of output, you need to fix your signal source quality and strength aka the head unit or dsp. The signal has to be strong from the source with very little input voltage adjustment needed from the amp.

fithwheel

Dec 8, 2017
indiana
Aftermarket , clarion cz702
I’m not familiar with that hu but like Jeff said if it’s an output situation you’re not getting a strong signal to the sub amp. I assume it has a sub out on the hu and it has subwoofer level turn the sub level all the way up and reset your gain. If you’ve already done that take a multi meter and double check the ohm load and make sure you have the subs wired to the correct ohm load. Assuming you’re not using a dsp or anything else in between hu and amp?

Reactions: Cuznfkr

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Aftermarket , clarion cz702
I have that exact hu. It has 5 volt pre outs. You SHOULD not have your gain that high. Set it in accordingly with the rms of the subs. Re set it to 31.62 using a 40Hz test tone and DMM...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds