friend says placement of xover effects sound

there can be a different. Many crossover networks (non-high end) tends to use cheaper parts and most of them are subject to change with temperature. their tolerance may not be as good so they can affect crossover point. Then again, the temperature needs to change by a lot. Who know how much cooler it is in the trunk than in the doors.

Likewise, the difference might be inaudible in most cases. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Imagine these scenarios:

1) pumping lots of power to the xover through speaker wire that is of a marginal gauge. Say, for example, using 18 gauge wire instead of 14 or something. It's going through a long run of wire from the trunk to the xover in the door, then two short runs of wires to the two components.

2) same scenario, except it's one short run of wire to the xover and then two long runs of wire to the components.

It seems to me that, in scenario 1, the long run of too-thin wire could have a noticeable effect on the sound and be noticeably better with a short run of the wire followed by the long run of double the wire.

But that's just my theory.

Imagine these scenarios:
1) pumping lots of power to the xover through speaker wire that is of a marginal gauge. Say, for example, using 18 gauge wire instead of 14 or something. It's going through a long run of wire from the trunk to the xover in the door, then two short runs of wires to the two components.

2) same scenario, except it's one short run of wire to the xover and then two long runs of wire to the components.

It seems to me that, in scenario 1, the long run of too-thin wire could have a noticeable effect on the sound and be noticeably better with a short run of the wire followed by the long run of double the wire.

But that's just my theory.
Replace your 18awg cable with 12awg and see if it makes as much sense.

To me, it doesn't.

Which is indicative of the wire used rather than the placement of the crossover.

Replace your 18awg cable with 12awg and see if it makes as much sense.To me, it doesn't.

Which is indicative of the wire used rather than the placement of the crossover.
Right. That was my point. Xover placement maybe could make a different if you were using too-thin speaker wire. Obviously, the answer is not to move the xover to make up for the wire. I was just trying to come up with a possible explanation for why one guy might have found that his sounded better with the xovers in the trunk instead of the doors or kicks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.