Flooded and AGM together?

ciaonzo
5,000+ posts

TheContinental
WI
Guys, sorry to make another thread about batteries but the site is broken as you all know. I couldn't find another thread to answer this question.

I've already done the big 3 and I have a nice run of 1/0 to the rear. I have a standard flooded battery up front and that's it. 140 amp alternator, maybe a bigger one at some point but I'm somewhat concerned about fuel economy. This has been adequate for my 1500w builds.

I'm finally getting around to beefing up my electrical in preparation for up to 3k. Can I add a couple AGM's in back and be alright? Is it okay to mix these or do I need an AGM under the hood as well?

Do I need an isolator? Why does it seem like people have stopped using these?

I'm looking at the little banks of ultracaps as well, do you guys like these? Point me in the right direction.

Ive mixed them before with no issues. If you are worried about MPGs heavy batteries are going to make a difference. Look into a small Lithium battery.
I've done it before also. The bigger battery does pull the smaller one down but unless it's drained all its power it's not enough to make a difference.
Thanks, guys. I hear you, a couple batteries does add up to a bit of weight. I was thinking more along the lines of how the alternator is harder to turn and eats up a bit of horsepower, fuel economy in that regard. Those lithium batteries are so pricey, though. I almost want the bank of ultracaps just for that reason. Perhaps an AGM in conjunction with the bank of caps? Seems like it would address both the tones and the dynamics, sustained amperage from the battery and bursts from the caps?

I know that is a gross oversimplification but is the concept sound?

dont waste your money on batteries. get a high output alt.Its like me designing a power supply for an offshore rig using 2500 batteries with an undersized generator..
Just the alt and no batteries? Can't say I've seen much of that. I found a 250 amp alt but I couldn't determine who the manufacturer was. Didn't say it was a 6 phase hairpin, either. I suppose I should just budget for the alt no matter what.

I got mines from a guy i've never heard of but he knew what he was talking about. Ill have to find the site.

Paid 400 for a 220 i think it is.

He said he used industrial diodes. So far so good. Just dropped it in. Only issue is low voltage at idle but i requested a pully tgat would work with stock belts. So it has better output at 2krpm.

Batteries end up just being an addional load on tge alternator when you exceed its output and start draining the batteries..

AGM, HO alt, and a bank of caps tbh

oh and plenty of 1/0 for ground runs

a new bank of caps can be had for ~250-300 shipped and used about ~150-250 shipped. i also like that they have a much longer cycle life than batteries.

I dont know what car you have but I wouldn't think ho alt should hurt mileage enough to notice, I am running three alts two singer 270 s for stereo and a Js 200 to power the truck and in my truck- 305 gm v8 motor. I get the same mileage as I did before stereo 16 mpg and I would have thought the weight alone would have dropped mileage a little,I am guessing close 900 lbs. Everyone was telling me it was going kill my mileage but it didnt enough to notice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.