First build in over 25 years - pics

Participant count
  • Participants list

NytFlyt

CarAudio.com Recruit
Almost finished with my portion of my Challenger R/T build. This was going to just be an aftermarket head unit/some drop in-replacement speakers/and a powered sub. But once I got started the bug bit and the plan kept growing.

I’ve done all of the work I’m comfortable with and my shop/installer will finish the rest in a couple of weeks.

Head unit will be a Sony XAV1000,
Using a DSR1 for DSP.
Front speakers will be 3 way active Focal PS165’s. The shop will be putting the tweeters in the A pillars. 3.5’s in the factory dash locations and 6.5’s in the factory door locations.

Rear speakers are Kicker 6.5 co-axials that will be wired to rear deck power and likely faded down to nothing unless I have rear passengers or such (I’ll fiddle with that once it’s up and playing).

Amps:

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on the 3.5’s and tweeters.
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on the 6.5’s.
Rockford Fosgate T1000bdcp for the sub.

Pics to follow...

1DFBB653-5163-4AF3-B22C-7245974A39DD.jpeg
0556C9D5-4644-4DE3-8B5D-BDDAF1D6814A.jpeg
29293EDD-B62E-4EBD-BD32-4D7CDA9E0872.jpeg
A85F4BCB-01C4-4203-B310-8DAFB960DBA2.jpeg
Box and some trim stuff

Last edited:
479475DD-BF4B-4A12-A296-546C4473FE1F.jpeg
BA88312D-A275-4EDD-B710-CC9FBB7DEF45.jpeg
DSR 1 mounts to the side of the trunk and is hidden behind a panel. Distribution/fuse block will sit on the other side in a similar manner and will be covered by a similar panel (I still need to do that)

Last edited:
Thanks - I’m pretty much done with what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna let the shop install the head unit/component speakers/ sound deaden the doors/wire up the DSR1 and set all of the gains/crossover points/eq settings/and time alignment stuff. I’ve had fun with the construction/cosmetic stuff - but looking forward to getting it up and playing.

This is super clean. Nice setup.
I always wondered, on builds like this, how does the bass get into the cabin?

Thanks!

I can’t speak for anyone else’s, but I made some efforts to allow as much bass energy as possible to make it forward. That 1/4” thin “beauty panel” on the back of the sub box that makes it look “sealed up” was perforated with about 200 1/2” holes before covering it with thin grey carpet - it’s basically a big decorative “speaker grill” - so it’s not stopping anything. There is also about a 1 1/4” gap between the top of that beauty panel and the rear deck lid (ya gotta lean down and look upward to see it). My rear deck had a factory 8” hole that was there for a factory subwoofer - so I opened that up (and made a grill cloth cover) to let bass from the trunk pass through to the cabin. I also made 1” spacers for the rear seat latches so there is a 1” gap between the top of the rear seats and the rear deck when the seats are upright and latched.

But more that anything else, I think just the fact that low bass simply travels through anything and everything is the general concept working - plus I’m not SPL oriented this time around at all.

I built several like this many years ago and you couldn’t tell any difference in the sound with the beauty panel installed or removed. If bass can go through back seats, it can go through that thin perforated trim piece.

Here is what it looks like without/with the decorative beauty panel trim piece -

FBC05E3C-C7A2-449C-8A85-71707292F2E8.jpeg

0A3F9F43-6A87-4A0F-83CF-8B646420195F.jpeg

Last edited:
This is super clean. Nice setup.
I always wondered, on builds like this, how does the bass get into the cabin?

Sadly, it doesn't and subs that far forward firing back is usually sub-optimum in trunks which are already an acoustic nightmare. You see a lot of this type of build in show cars.

People who do this style build are typically going for looks and space saving so I'm sure OP's goals will be met. Personally I'd have thoroughly sealed the trunk, done subs firing forward into the cabin, and mounted the amps on the trunk side. By the looks of everything else OP would certainly capable of doing the work.

Anyway, it does look really clean and all the equipment should give you many years of trouble free performance. I'm really liking the Sony head units these days. I'm running them in all 3 of my personal vehicles.

...Personally I'd have thoroughly sealed the trunk, done subs firing forward into the cabin, and mounted the amps on the trunk side. By the looks of everything else OP would certainly capable of doing the work.

Anyway, it does look really clean and all the equipment should give you many years of trouble free performance. I'm really liking the Sony head units these days. I'm running them in all 3 of my personal vehicles.

Well, done right the bass comes through just fine. I’ve seen people “seal” them up with solid 3/4 MDF beauty panels covered in leather, etc and that definitely doesn’t work so well. But yes, forward firing was definitely a consideration - I’ve done them like that in the (distant) past as well. And I may get bored and give that a whirl on this car at some point. I decided on rear firing this time as I am not as interested in maximum bass impact this time around, so this should be MORE than enough bass for my modest to moderate listening levels.

But change is part of the fun.

I’ve done some calculating and by keeping the same fore/aft dimensions (I want to maintain access to my spare tire/battery well) but making my enclosure somewhat wider and taller, I can come up with just enough airspace to either A. Make a ported enclosure with these (or similar) subs. -or- B. Have 3 of these subs (or similar) in a sealed enclosure. Not that I need 3 subs for the amount of bass I want/need, I just think three across would just have a neat visual impact. Admittedly, I like the visual/cosmetic aspect of it all almost as much as the music.

Or like you mentioned, I could also rework/spin this whole arrangement around and seal it up firing forward and showcase the amps in the back - I purposely built that box with the same angle on the front and back so it could be used forward firing as well (with some additional work to seal it off). So who knows what I’ll have going a year from now. Even if I’m completely satisfied with the sound, I’ll likely change something up as I enjoy this end of the construction/fabrication process.

Thanks for the kind words. Really enjoying being back in the game.

Last edited:
I’ve seen people “seal” them up with solid 3/4 MDF beauty panels covered in leather, etc and that definitely doesn’t work so well
You say this because you've never seen it done right and you've probably never heard what loud really is. Again, as you say, if it sounds good enough for your listening and looks nice, leave it alone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.