finally installed my custom built prototype mids and tweeters!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Papermaker85
5,000+ posts

Banned
New orleans LA
The mids specs are you typical pretty straight forward high-end mid range. 6mm. xmax. QES is around .35 FS is 42 inductance is the lowest I;ve even see on any mid-range. Id say active 125 to 160 per side is ideal.

tweeters have a large dome with a cloth surround. FS is 1575 QE is 2.0 area again a very low inductance coil is used.. edge driven as well

of course i focused on every aspect i could possibly tackle with a platform for a existing build-house that built them.

The result is one of the best sounding systems that are what id call a drop in system.

I choose to mount the tweeter high overhead. This presents issues but I use some processing and it sounds like it's at the perfect height. It's between the top of the shoulders to top on my head. while the tweeters stand out a-bit IMO it looks fine. some may choose a more integrated look but i want the best possible sound.

The tweeters are about 30 degrees off axis pointing slightly downward.

As for the mid-bass i simply used about 2 SQ FT of sound deader and ordered some 15$ adapters from crutchfield in order to mount them. i only put deadener for now to test it in a typical installation ill be sealing the doors and adding a refraction/reflection barrier as well later but for now its just basic sound-deader in the door skins.

i'm not going to comment on the sound much because you just have to hear it but lets just say them only better system iver heard was a 3 way focal utopias on a couple of are SE 4200s with a jl w6.

pics of the mids. they are ******* amazaing and beautiful. mad props to the build house for getting them RIGHT!

These are the ceramic dome tweeters.

and of course the beast that sounds as good as any woofer ive yet to hear and will rip your car apart..

a short video. of course the mic on my phone has a pass=band of about 100 to 15khz but it gives you and idea of the clarity and definition on some seriously hard passages to play. i had to turn the mid-bass and sub down because it kills the mic.. and i recorded it too loud so it at the limits of the mic. ill record some more at a lower level not to strain the mic if anyone is interested..

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know when you listen to YouTube videos the only thing you are hearing is your speakers that are playing the YouTube video? You clueless fucktard
KMSL i happen to have a HDMI out and a decent home system. if you have decent speakers as in most of us audio fanatics have a decent system even for our computers you can have a listen.. JACKASS

no **** its not going to sond like the real thing but it shows how revealing it is even through a recording.. its just to give an idea. i shouldn't have to explain this to you.

KMSL i happen to have a HDMI out and a decent home system. if you have decent speakers as in most of us audio fanatics have a decent system even for our computers you can have a listen.. JACKASSno **** its not going to sond like the real thing but it shows how revealing it is even through a recording.. its just to give an idea. i shouldn't have to explain this to you.
It don't work like that.

the resolution is limited by the mic on my phone which is decent enough within its bandwidth and volume its mono but its just to give an idea. other than that if i had a HIGH end mic i could use to record i could record it and it would sound excellent.

Sounds pretty good through my Sennheisers. A little thick in the 500-800 region but really good overall.
that is with NO EQ just TA but I'm going to check it out again.. only have a peak around 4k but its easily EQed out. i didn't do any extensive tuning im waiting for my mic and software to come it..

that is with NO EQ just TA but I'm going to check it out again.. only have a peak around 4k but its easily EQed out. i didn't do any extensive tuning im waiting for my mic and software to come it..
Yeah, I tend to really relax that whole 1k to 4k region. Nothing new there. What you have there is a great starting point if no EQ has been applied yet.

the resolution is limited by the mic on my phone which is decent enough within its bandwidth and volume its mono but its just to give an idea. other than that if i had a HIGH end mic i could use to record i could record it and it would sound excellent.
I would still be only judging my speakers not yours. How does this not make sense?

dude i just made it to give an idea of how it sounds. i know exactly what you mean its just to give an idea.

you can tell that its clean just by listening to the recording on my phone so you can imagine how it sounds in person..

Carbon Fiber cones?!
Yea Im gonna do a version with a slightly different cone and a phase plug for those who want better off axis sound. considering these mids are designed for installs that are modified like custom ported door panels or sealed kicks they do better than i thought free-air.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.