Feedback on Some Subw00fers... Soundqubed, Obsidian....

Quas

I'm looking to build a starter system that I would like to build from scratch. I haven't done this in a LONG time and didn't realise how many companies there are now a days and would like to hear some of your feedback. I think I narrowed my search to Soundqubed or Obsidian Audio mainly because of price and want to try out one of these companies I never heard of. I'm not looking to compete or anything, I have kids; I just want some above your average bass that will hit LOW's... I listen to rap. I purchased a soundstream 3000.1D amp from a buddy so have plenty of power to run either sub and have plenty of space so am thinking of getting a pair of 15's. Soundqubed has a HDS315 for $149 and Obisdian has a sub for $160. Soundqubed is cheaper and handles more watts but does Obsidian have a more efficient woofer? Will it handle lows better? I also read that Obisdians subs are under rated as well....

Also if anyone have any other recommendations around $300.... Thanks any of your feedback is appreciated.

I'm in the exact same boat! I've narrowed my search to those brands as well. The HDS312 boasts 1200rms at $140.00. The Obsidian boasts 600rms at a few $ cheaper. Do I: a) underpower the Hds, b) overpower the Obsidian? I'm thinking it would be better to "overpower" and run with the gain set lower, than to underpower and run amp to its max to keep up with the subs.....Thats what I think anyway.

I'm looking to build a starter system that I would like to build from scratch. I haven't done this in a LONG time and didn't realise how many companies there are now a days and would like to hear some of your feedback. I think I narrowed my search to Soundqubed or Obsidian Audio mainly because of price and want to try out one of these companies I never heard of. I'm not looking to compete or anything, I have kids; I just want some above your average bass that will hit LOW's... I listen to rap. I purchased a soundstream 3000.1D amp from a buddy so have plenty of power to run either sub and have plenty of space so am thinking of getting a pair of 15's. Soundqubed has a HDS315 for $149 and Obisdian has a sub for $160. Soundqubed is cheaper and handles more watts but does Obsidian have a more efficient woofer? Will it handle lows better? I also read that Obisdians subs are under rated as well....

Also if anyone have any other recommendations around $300.... Thanks any of your feedback is appreciated.
Depending how hard you run things, that amp will easily be able to break either of those subs. The SQbed sub has a 3" coil, but I've seen some reports that they really wont' take a lot of heat before you slinky the coil.

Also, you should consider the cost of electrical upgrades to run that amp and the space and cost needed to build a proper box for either.

Not to punch a hole in your boat, but if you're not ready to invest in an extra battery and some 1/0 cable you have no business running a 2000-2500W amp and quite honestly I don't believe either of the subs you listed would be particularly reliable on that much power to a pair.

You might consider trading that amp DOWN for something that you can run on stock electrical (perhaps slightly better quality), Either pair of those subs should be pretty bullet proof on 1200W, and your electrical system would be much happier.

Either way you go, be sure you have the ability and space to build a proper box. That will be a large factor in performance.

I'm in the exact same boat! I've narrowed my search to those brands as well. The HDS312 boasts 1200rms at $140.00. The Obsidian boasts 600rms at a few $ cheaper. Do I: a) underpower the Hds, b) overpower the Obsidian? I'm thinking it would be better to "overpower" and run with the gain set lower, than to underpower and run amp to its max to keep up with the subs.....Thats what I think anyway.
Yes, it is better to have more power and to back down the gain, and hispls advice is spot on. That being said, the sq1200 would do what you need on either sub choice. If I do replace my 10's, I have been pondering the hds310's myself.

I just purchased a xs6500 battery on amazon like what my friend with the amp had in place had done and was looking for a ho alternator being I'm going to have to replace mine soon here anyway so am willing to make the upgrades.... That's primarily why I'm going cheap on the subs first so I can get some bass and then upgrade to higher end subs.... I heard some idmax subs that sounded amazing and may eventually go that route....

AQ/ SQ subs are great. I own some, along with some of my friends. Free shipping is nice also //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yea it really is too hard to pass up.... I think I'm leaning towards the SQ
I was thinking the same at first, but I cant find ANY arguments against the Obsidians. Google, Yahoo answers,YouTube. ..Nowhere. To me that says something, and probably going to have 2 Obsidian 12's in my trunk!?!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.