Factory Amp in 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

radel2dope
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey, I was wondering what I need to do to the factory amp in my car to hook up my head unit. It is an Alpine CDA-9831. I hooked up the head unit, and then the orange wire from the factory amp to the extra orange wire on the head unit, and it powered up and played, but no sound from speakers. Any insight on this? If there is anything else you need to know, please let me know. Thanks

The orange wire on your head unit isn't an amp turn-on. It's an illumination input. I don't think the factory amp turn-on wire is orange, either; are you using a wire harness?

x2 you need to use the amp turn on wire, usually a blue with white stripe, from the deck, if your useing a wireing harness for that car, it should have a blue wire labled amp turn on.

if i were you - id be HELLA cautious even touching that car.

if it has the stereo with the plug thing on the end, dont even think about removing it. i forget the name of the system, but it controlls all the airbags and ****. if you do it wrong, your car will be practically destroyed.

and yes, ive seen it happen in that same car.

Well the amp has a single orange wire going directly to the factory HU. On the end of that wire is a connector that plugs into the factory HU. We cut that off, and crimped into the Alpine HU. When the speakers didnt work, we crimped that connector back on and plugged it back into the factory HU, and everything works as normal now. We also tried the blue wire with a white stripe, and it had the same results. One thing different from the last time I installed this Alpine CDA-9831, is it was acting like it was on display at a store. like demo mode or something. Is there anything specific you have to change on the HU to make it play to the speakers? If not, my next question is: Is there anything out there that will either bypass the factory amp , or help it connect to the HU?

Thanks for the help

the only bonnies that had amps for that year were bose equipped bonnies.... ok some had non bose factory amps, those amps can be powered up using the extra plug that is all byitself, in that plug there is a pink wire, that pink wire is used for amp turn on and power antenna. Connect that wire to the blue/white wire from the radio and you should be good to go....

Take a couple of pictures of the stock radio and wiring harness and post it, and I'm sure we can tell you for sure...

It is Bose equipped, yes. I cant take a picture at the moment, but it has a wiring harness hooked in back of the factory HU like every car has, but it has an extra orange wire with a clip on the end that connects to another spot at the back of the HU. When I cut that clip off, and crimped the orange wire and blue with white stripe wire from the Alpine together, everything works fine, but no sound.

It is Bose equipped, yes. I cant take a picture at the moment, but it has a wiring harness hooked in back of the factory HU like every car has, but it has an extra orange wire with a clip on the end that connects to another spot at the back of the HU. When I cut that clip off, and crimped the orange wire and blue with white stripe wire from the Alpine together, everything works fine, but no sound.

What makes you think that's a factory amp turn-on?

I suppose I just assumed it. What in the hell else is it, and if not a factory amp turn on, then where is the factory amp turn on and what is that orange wire and how would I hook it up with an aftermarket HU.

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.