Extremely frustrated, need help please.

Nevalite
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
Hey everyone,

So I have a Kicker ZX750.1 and an Alpine 12" Type-R running off a CDA-9885...

I installed this system at the beginning of the winter and everything was working fine for about 2 months. One day I took my sub out because I needed the trunk space for a snowboard trip. When I got back from the trip I noticed that I had broken one of the RCA wires going into the Amp. I figured it would be an easy fix.

I cut the RCA wire, bought a new jack and soldered it up, plugged it in and I got nothing from my sub... I thought maybe I didn't do it right so I went and bought a new wire completely, still nothing. I returned the wire and kept my fixed one.

Now I thought maybe the actual jack in the amp broke somehow so I opened up the amp and I ran 2 wires connected to the 2 parts of the RCA input on the PCB and attached a new jack to them, connected it up and still nothing...

Now, today I took out the sub, opened the box, re-wired the inside of the box, put it back in the car. At first it didnt work, then I messed around a bit and it started working!!! It ran perfect for about 10 seconds and then it completely stopped again... (this happened 2 times)

It's like it started working and then lost its charge or something and then stopped...

It seemed like it could be a grounding problem so I decided to find a new grounding spot (I knew the one I had wasn't the best). I grinded it down to bare metal and everything, re-attached it all but still the sub won't work...

---

I'm out of ideas and I don't know why this won't work, here are some pics I took of the set-up.

dsc00615ce6.jpg

Sub in the box

dsc00620qi0.jpg

Side of Amp

dsc00621qy4.jpg

New grounding spot (grinded down the car itself and both sides of that plate)

dsc00622ml9.jpg

Here you can see the fixed RCA wire and the new Jack that I made.

dsc00623jq4.jpg

Inside of RCA jack.

Everything seems fine to me, and the wires are fined because it did run good for like 10 seconds and then die again, I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried everything I can think of.

Any help/ideas/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated, really, anything.

Thanks so much.

To me it sounds like something is wrong with the amp. I would switch the amp into a buddies car and see if it works. If the amp does work fine do the same thing with the sub. If thats fine too, then you know its your wiring somewhere.

Did the amp go into protect after its short period of coming back on? My other question is did you remove the speaker wire from the amp when you took the sub out for snowboarding? If you didnt maybe the wire got crimped some wheres when you filled the snowboarding equipment and when you were ripping the sub out of the box and playing around to get it to work you might of moved the speaker wire that leads to the amp just enough to let it work again. Idk might be a stupid guess, but its worth a shot.

You did the RCA wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

edit: well its hard to tell with the blurry pics

Did I do the RCA wrong? that would explain a lot...

The shielding of the wire is going to the outside of the RCA and the middle of the wire is going to the pin, is that right?

Also its not ripped from the PCB of the amp i've been in there, no it doesnt work when i jiggle it.

And I have no buddies with systems.

Yeh I tried a new RCA, same thing. Bought it from future shop, tried it, didnt work so I returned it lol.

And yeah I know its 8 gauge not 4, soon ill change it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.